What freq's best for sub graphic EQ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently, I had a whole bunch of cheapo components and kits donated to me by a hobbyist leaving the country. One of the items was a cheap graphic EQ kit board, 5 sliders/channel, active of course. It has no value to me as it is, but I thought it would be great and easy to swap RC pairs to make it into a graphic EQ just for subwoofer use.

So 2 questions:
1) What would be the most useful freq range for it? Something like 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 Hz?
2) Would this idea work, or is likely to fail because the filter order is too shallow? Do the commercial bass EQ products use high order filters for this reason?

There's no good way to answer that question. "Graphic yuk" is not unexpected because the center frequencies of graphic EQs are fixed whereas a parametric center frequency can be programmed. One solution, especially since you have the opportunity to customize this unit, would be to take a SPL meter and a test disc and measure the LF response of your room to find out where your problem frequencies are then build the EQ accordingly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.