Just completed a subwoofer platform....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
actually 2 platforms for twin Rel Storm III subs. I couldn't spike my subs directly to the subfloor of my condo because all the energy was resonating through the floor so I tried placing the subs directly on the carpet without spikes, not good, flabby bass and ill defined.

The only way I thought I could fix it was to spike a custom made platform directly to the floor for rigidity. I could then place the sub using spikes directly on the platform which has custom machined ABS feet and brass footers which prevent the subs' energy from going through the floor. The assembly is very rigid and the sub is grounded very well to the platform. I tested them out and sure enough, no energy going through the floor and tight, well controlled bass, better than I have ever experienced with these subs and I've tried many different methods over the past few years.

To be fair, I have my own machine shop so all of the items fabricated were machined and built precisely so the DIY factor is perhaps overstated but none the less I wanted to share the idea and results for those interested in obtaining better performance from their subwoofer.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I just went through a similar process with my rel strata 5 Subwoofer. The original plate amp blew up, so i replaced it with external yung 300w rms plate amp in custom box.
First listen- bass sounded wooly, undefined and monotonous. I was a bit disappointed thinking it was the amp. Maybe poor quality amp?
Question- maybe the thick pile carpet was contributing to poor bass response as the subwoofer was sitting directly on the carpet using factory feet (no spikes).
Idea- put a thick stone paver (from backyard) underneath subwoofer.
Result- amazing!!!! Bass is much deeper, tighter, and more defined. Very musical now.
I then tried to test the improvement by using a standard kitchen tile which was lighter and thinner- didnt work at all, and bass went back to poor quality.
Conclusion- placing thick, relatively heavy stone paver improved the sound quality of my sub from 5/10 to 8/10. The sonic difference is quite astounding...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.