I want to kill myself with bass.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Default I want to kill myself with bass....

I applied for a car loan, and didn't get it, so now I figure I'll blow all my money on a subwoofer instead. Its not like I need a car, I can't even drive. ANYWAY!!!!

I intend on ordering two Maelstroms, just as soon as I get my money back from a dodgy ebay purchase. Hey, while I'm here, why don't I tell my life story........ on the 14th of november, 1985 a child was both. That child was me. Weighing in at...... alright, enough.

I was thinking 300 litres a sub tuned to 20Hz... it should do 20Hz at over 120dB in room

now, what impedence are these subs?? as far as I can tell they are 6 ohms, correct? which means the amp I'm looking at will give them 500 watts each... plenty

anyway, is there a better bang for buck sub than the maelstrom? I thought about the Tempest, namely 4 of them, it would be slightly cheaper, and maybe even slightly louder, but I want 18's just so I have 18's
Old 3rd March 2005, 03:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You could look at Ascendant Audio's Avalanche 18 but I don't think it's suited for ported boxes :unsure: (but they would cost more w/amp cost)

Sit back and think about how big 2 ported maelstroms would be. 4 Tempests would be even bigger!(don't forget you need pretty big ports for 18's + lotsa bracing in such a huge box) . I have 2 sealed ~4.5 cu ft. boxes and they're the size of a big end table... bigger than I'd like really.

you're looking at 25-40 cu ft.!

My 2 sealed 15s' that are no Avalanches is plenty loud for me...more than my mains can keep up with for sure... and the entire house rattles.

just my $.02
Old 3rd March 2005, 03:27 PM   #3
Banned

about 25cu ft.. total, for both...

its not that big really..
Old 3rd March 2005, 04:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

What about Aura NS18 18":

Click the image to open in full size.

Expensive at USD$1100 but try an 18" with 17hz FS, Xmax of 16mm(a lot when you consider the radiating area) and a sensitivity of 90dB.
Luckily you'd only need one of these to kill yourself which is all well and good because you'd need to sell a kidney to afford two.

Or there's always the JL W7 13.5, again expensive but you should be afford two for the price of a single Aura. These have silly Xmax and will not only kill you but the house too.
Old 3rd March 2005, 04:25 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN

Expensive at USD$1100 but try an 18" with 17hz FS, Xmax of 16mm(a lot when you consider the radiating area) and a sensitivity of 90dB.

I guess you don't know the Maelstroms then....

13mm X-max.... 93db 1w/1m.... 20Hz fs.... and UAD$299

LOL!!!
Old 3rd March 2005, 04:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
I love my maelstrom but I'm not sure its the right driver for you because the primary response range in a ported enclosure is 50hz and down. This makes it an outstanding sub for HT. It sounds like you want to kill yourself with bass using music, so you are really looking for 30-80 or 100hz, not low teens to 50hz.

If you have room for 2 300L cabs, then basshorns is the way to go. You'll get much more sensitivity (easily in excess of 100/1w/1m) and can save money on a pair of suitable drivers. 18's would be totally unnecessary for a great pair of bass horns.
Old 3rd March 2005, 04:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

What about Bag End 18s?
I bought 4 off eBay, & cloned the sealed enclosure size and Linkwitz transform Bag End uses.
Flat from 8 Hz to 95 Hz.
Two of them are actually more than enough.

I built them to look like tables, with the woofers firing at the floor. Call the "Bag End Tables."

Old 3rd March 2005, 04:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Of course NOTHING beats a big bass horn...

Next project: bass horn tuned to 15 Hz!

Old 3rd March 2005, 05:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Bang for the buck nothing will touch one of Bill Fitzmaurices Tubas. Since you're talking big boxes, a Tuba36 (3 feet on a side, or 27cu ft) would do. This is along the lines of concert-level bass for ~300 person venues. The 36 (unlike some of the other tubas) reaches WAY down, too. Insane, irresponsible overkill for the home, but if you're talking about silly levels of bass, this will do it.

http://www.audioroundtable.com/BillFitzmaurice/
Old 3rd March 2005, 05:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
a 15hz basshorn... now that would be a MONSTER. 75 feet long plus a rediculisly large mouth. I dont think thats very practical

Hide this!Advertise here!