best sub for system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I currently am in the process of making a dual mono 3886 GC and am thinking to use my bryston 3bst in bridged mono to power a sub...i'd like to DIY the sub as well and am wondering what the best design would be. I listen to a lot of different music, and am not currently planning to use this for HT...
any ideas?
by the way, my main speakers are B&W CM4's, which have a -3db at 38Hz
thanks!

I'm guessing your price range is for driver and enclosure alone since you already have an amp you plan to use....

How much power does the amp supply and what impedence can it handle?

In my opinion response down to 30hz is a MUST for music or HT. You'd be suprised how many recordings have information down there.

It's not like every song has continuous information below 35hz, but most have a few peaks here and there and when you listen to the same song on a system that can go infrasonic and then a system that rolls off in that audible range, you will miss those notes(and it can ruin the entire song).

For drivers there are may brands and sizes in your price range. Box size will probably be the determining factor of what you should get. So with that in mind, how big of an enclosure are you willing to have?

Thanks for your replies!
The Bryston will do bridged mono at 400W into 8 ohms.
As far as the necessity, i often find that, especially for rock, the music at times falls apart a bit at louder volumes and sounds a little forward. The B&W's are a little responsible i am sure, but i think that maybe a sub would help clean up the sound...
In terms of box size, i was thinking that something of the order of a 3' cube would be about as large as i'd want to go...
Mantisory

36" x 36" x 36" ?

That's awesome.

I would use a single Adire Audio Tempest (150$) or Ascendant Audio Atlas 15 (160$).

I think the Atlas 15 is better for your application since you could run the coils in series to get a 6 ohms load for your amplifier, probably able to take that.

Then with the money left, invest in wood to get a heavy braced box, 3/4" or more void-free birch plywood if possible, or MDF at least.

Hi Folks,

Need guidance!

The B&W Dm 04 speakers clarity are awesome but need help to improve bass. Can I make 12" subwoofer/ buy and connect it to my amp.

1.Bryston B 60 R integrated amp- 60 watts Rms at 8 ohms (Specifications- ww.bryston.ca/BrystonSite05/BrystonDocs.html_)
2. B & W speakers DM 04
3. ADC sound shaper SS-115X Stereo Frequency Equalizer

Thanks a ton for your valuable time and guidance.

Attachments

• b&w speakers1.jpg
    b&w speakers1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 190
I am probably biased (you know, the my gear are best, syndrome)
But i find large sealed boxes very good for both music and HT.

1. They dont have to be placed far avay from walls or corners to sound good.

2. even my 10+ years old RF Caraudio 15" Power DVC subs sounds like they just having fun doing their job (effortless and lively)

3. Power requirements seems to be low in large cabs (QT 0,57) i run mine with 120Wrms to each coil and thats enough to make the whole house shake

The woofer in the pic have been replaced with a mint one due to the dented cone visible in the pic.
The cabs are reinforced CV AL1000`s (about 145L aviable for the 15") with a Morel 8,5" mid and Morel tweets (tweets will be replaced with Audax 34mm domes)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.