Seas Excel W26 compaired to Seas L26 (10")

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seas Excel W26 compaired to Seas L26 (10")

Have anyone compared the 10” Seas Excel W26 with Seas L26? I am going to use one of these drivers in an 88 liters vented cabinet with port tuned to 23 Hz. I use active separation (24 db/ octave) at 100 Hz and use the Seas W18 and Seas T25F001 above.

The datasheet on these two drivers are similar, but do they sound different? The price of the W26 is about twice the L26.

demogorgon said:
hehe, THD, Qts,Xmax is unimportant. in the end the ultimate consideration ta take it the WAF. :clown:

i'm lucky, im still young, live at home and can decorate my space as i wish, so it's the L26 for me :)

how bout these..?

http://seaslotus.com/subwoofers.asp

im no expert, but its the most musical 12" ive ever heard.

^and I have a Veledyne HGS12 in my room right now...

simon5 said:
These drivers are real subwoofer drivers hehe!

well.. if you look at where the "L26" and "W26" are listed, theyre listed under "Woofers" and the SW300/SW250 are listed under "Subwoofers"...

:D

i understand if youre planning to use them into the midbass range but under 100hz does it matter..? (enclosures being designed/built among the same standards)

Audio Student,

^i have the L18's (H1224) btw, and they have pretty good output down to 40hz ported and sealed so i could imagine how the L26 would perform...

that is another reson why i'm gonna use the L26, in case i end up not liking the 2.1 setup i'm planing for, i can always change it, and use the L26 further up, and use the G17REX as a mids..

though things may change, i'm not gonna afford any of those drivers in quite some time anyways, the rex wil probably be within range in 2 months.

graks,
A three way speaker using the Seas Excel Millennium tweeter, plus sealed volume Seas Excel W18E001 midwoofer, plus ported volume Seas W26FX001 woofer should be an excellent performer which demonstrates the magic of Magnesium cones.... "crisp with just a touch of dampening".

You will need to decide upon a cabinet shape... two box TM + W will offer greater flexibility for use around your home (likeTM desk speaker), but you will lose some volume for the W26 woofer. A single TMW cabinet can be slightly smaller since it allows the W26 to share the total internal volume.

The Seas W26FX001 models well in a 3.3cuft ported cabinet, tuned to 22.7Hz (3" diameter port, 0.82" long, 688Hz resonance) or (4" dia port, 1.6" long, 363Hz resonance). An LR2 crossover to the midrange at ~160-180Hz could be adjusted to also cover baffle step in a tall cabinet of modest width. So cabinet shape will affect crossover frequency.

The Seas Excel W18E001 models well in a sealed 0.4cuft volume with Fs~67Hz and Qtc ~0.7. NASTY cone break-up starts at 3kHz and hits 15db peak at 4.5kHz, so a LR4/LR4 at 1500Hz is a good first start since it would both significantly attenuate W18 cone break-up and tweeter Xmax limit distortion. LR4/LR4 offers constant power, but does produce 360-degrees of phase shift. With LR4/LR4, the time delay created from the difference in T-M physical alignment can be "mimic'ed" by using slightly different crossover frequencies for the T and M. So one decision: "significantly attenuate the W18 cone break-up", drives the design decision tree.

Attachments

• Cabinet Ideas.jpg
    Cabinet Ideas.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 154
A three way is exactly what i have planned to build. Would there be a need for a crosscover between the mid and sub? I have two sub amps (Hypex DS 4.0) so i could make the subs active and cross them around 80 hz, that would fit nicely with the natural rollof of the mids.

Could i use the LR4 crossovers designed for the Seas Thor by Jimangie on diyaudio.com, with modifications regarding impedance change using single mid woofer? This has a crossover freq on 1500 hz. Would have to keep the baffle as wide as on Seas Thor/Odin?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/64799-clarity-seas-thor-kit-100.html#post2240904

179996d1278896786-clarity-seas-thor-kit-excel_lr4_crossover_1500.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.