xls fs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope someone will be able to explain this.

Iwant to build a sealed sub for home use with a peerless 10 XLS. The model is the one intended for car audio(830514). It has a significant difference if you compare it to the model for home use(830452). The fs is more than twice as high in the car model which I have. Respectively 18,9hz and 39,4hz.
How will this affect the performance of a sub for home use?

I have considered the XLS, too.
However, after advise/suggestions from a former Peerless employee, the SLS are better, unless you have a sincere need to move massive amounts of air. After all, the XLS's have a high moving mass, compared to the SLS.
Considering the cost difference, I have decided to try 2 SLS 12" for my sub.

I don't know how your sub will be powered, but I have been warned about using a passive X-over for XLS drivers due to their coils.
Secondly, I would suggest you to look for the XXLS. They cannot bottom out and ruin the voice coil (unlike the XLS), and are (accoring to my WinISD simulaions) easier to make an enclosure for when you don't want a container-size sub in your living room.

Due to the large quantities of air moved with the (X)XLS drivers, you will want to look at their passive radiators and design suggestions, in stead of a ported design.

Just my 2 cents -
Jennice

I have heard about the voicecoil problem. But I dont when or if it will occur.
Anyway I have decided on a different driver. I am going to use a Scanspeak 23W in a closed or vented sub. It looks really nice as vented. Though I dont now about group delay. It goes high but only under 20hz. According to sim in winisd cone excursion should not be a problem. But is only theory!

I done it. Max linear excursion is 13mm and xmax is 20mm. Max input within linear excursion is 70w. Max input within xmax is 170w, with 225w its goes all the way to 23mm. Thats in the vented box.
The sealed box does not have a peak at 25hz and 15hz like the vented. But does go up there. With 60w its 13mm at 20hz and.
I dont now what to think.

I guess this thread changed a bit. But thanks for the advice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.