Adire Audio Tempest , Brahma - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2005, 12:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Adire Audio Tempest , Brahma

OK BOYS, Need some expert, detailed, opinionated, critisizing,comparitif INFO,

I just got singed on Adire Audio as a Product for my car audio store.

I am going to build a demo vehicle, with 2 15" Brahma's,
I am going to Recomend the tempest to at least half a douzen regulars.

Questions

1. What kind of spl are we talkin about for 2 brahma's in an suv with 800 watts into them.

2. Is the tempest considered a pretty phenominal woofer. What can if be compared to in say --Kicker--JlAudio--Audiobahn-- "all brands i sell"

3. Is this as good as it gets for bang for the buck.? adire audio looks appealing in this area. anyones oppinion.

4. TELL ME WHERE THIS COMPANY STANDS IN ALL PERSPECTIVES, is this Some of the best stuff in the world. if not. what is. (still considering what it costs) (because its darn cheap)

5. What kind of spl can be achieved wiht a tempest. like max spl in a ported box.

Thanks so much, if you can answer them all take a shot at one at least.

jaden
Old 20th February 2005, 09:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
Well, a little about my perspective of adire...

They have high quality products and good tech support. Being a small company like they are (off the radar so to speak) has its advantages and disadvantages.

For instance, when someone see's a tempest they will wonder what the hell kind of speaker it is(assuming they arent vastly knowledgable about adire's products) and the same holds for a Brahma... and well the tumult, there are absolutely no markings at all spare + -.

But seeing as the product isnt widely available at every best buy, ultimate electronics, or whatever other common electronics stores... you could probably charge a bit more since there isnt competition(except online).

Concering the demo vehicle etc....
2 brahma 15's and only 800watts total, come on man you need like 10000. Just kidding.
I think 800 is a bit weak however. You would probably want AT LEAST 800 per sub to get them to full excursion, but thats neither here nor there. It mostly depends on the alignment, and what the desired SPL is, but 400 apeice will surely be underpowered.

You know what they say about underpowering a sub too. Its almost entirely untrue*, but just ask any car stereo retailer and you should hear that underpowering a speaker can EASILY blow it. To which I say BS, but hey, I guess they can trick most everyone else into spending an extra couple bones for a bigger amp.

As for the tempest and comparing it to a few other common subs.... Well lets take for instance a JL13w7

Using WinISD to compare max SPL graphs with both subs in a 3cubic foot enclosure tuned to 25hz

Remember theser are anechoic simulations, in car SPL will be MUCH higher

Freq JL Tempest
20 109db 106db
25 113db 110db
30 116db 113db
35 118db 116db
Now here's where it gets interesting
40 118db 118db
50 118db 120db
60 118 121db

Now this doesnt seem right.... and thats because it isnt. JL doesnt give an inductance spec for the w7 so the hump in FR cause by that cant be predicted.

Now I would say the w7 likely has a high inductance at least above 4mH, but who's to say for sure. Its a massively overhung design, so just think about that.

I would say w7 and tempest are a pretty close match as far as maximum output goes. of course.... tempest doesnt need quite as much power, and it might not have the cosmetic appeal, but what else would you spend that extra $450 on?
Old 21st February 2005, 05:37 AM   #3
spots25 is offline spots25  United States
diyAudio Member

a guy on ECA hit 144 db with a ported Tempest getting 500WRMS...

3.7 cu/ft, 35hz
Old 21st February 2005, 05:46 AM   #4
DonoMan is offline DonoMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DonoMan
Underpowering a speaker will NEVER blow it. Otherwise, they'd all blow when you turned down the volume! It's a marketing scheme to get people to buy big amps.
Old 21st February 2005, 05:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

but cranking that smaller underpowering amp up father then it should (because not loud enough for you) so that it's clipping can blow the sub. Where this wouldnt happen with a large amp.
Old 21st February 2005, 05:58 AM   #6
DonoMan is offline DonoMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DonoMan
Absolute bull. Clipping will not blow a speaker unless you exceed the rating of the speaker.
Old 21st February 2005, 06:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
the transient part of a square waveform can kill tweeters, but subs and mids, likely not going to happen. If the square wave blows a woofer, its RMS power is either too great, or its frequeny is too low and the woofer dies of mechanical failure. I would call both of those overpowering.

All of this can be avoided simply... if it sounds like Shizzle, turn it down a little
Old 21st February 2005, 09:05 AM   #8
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

I would say that Adire Audio is better than AudioBahn by a large amount.

Kicker is very good in SPL, but I bet that Adire Audio could beat them easily in SQ and price/performance ratio.

I don't know much about JLAudio so I will not say much. Look at each company flagship... Adire Audio Tumult versus JL Audio 13W7-D1.5
Adire Audio got a better Xmax, better powerhandling, better efficiency, lower Fs, ...
And then the price on the JL Audio is very high.

I guess the Adire Audio stuff is now the best stuff you sell.
Old 21st February 2005, 05:17 PM   #9
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
asking a small power amp to drive too hard will overload it and it will produce an output that is almost a square wave.
The square wave signal contains two times the power of a sine wave. Feed this into a crossover and it will kill the higher range speakers. Try feeding it into a bass or sub and IMO it will kill the bass as well due to overheating of the coil.
Old 21st February 2005, 05:43 PM   #10
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

It may kill a smallish subwoofer, but to kill a Tempest with a thermal rating of 750W, you better get something that will send at least 400W DC in the coil continuously...

Hide this!Advertise here!