Servo Drive Sub woofer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2005, 01:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to nbcaudio Send a message via MSN to nbcaudio
Default Servo Drive Sub woofer

I'm curious if there is a plan or schematic for a servodriven woofer. I'm talking about one that actually uses an actuater attached to the cone to get the push/pull motion. I also wonder about parts.

I know that a company called Servodrive builds subwoofers based on this principle. My idea is to experiment with this design with smaller speakers 10" and 12" and use them in full range 3 way cabinets.

Does anyone know where I can find drawings and parts for this type design? I confess that I'm a real newbie at this and my knowledge and experience is limited at best and is closer to non-exisistant.

Thanks for your replies and help.
Old 18th February 2005, 08:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
doesnt the servodrive website have a drawing? if not, basically it works on the same concept as an auto engine's piston in reverse. you're converting rotation into pistonic movement.

While rotation is harmonic in 2 dimensions, pistonic is only harmoic in one. I believe the motors' armature actually twists one way then the other in this design and thus requires a low inertia moter.

I want to try a design using a flywheel and a piston system to make high intensity infrasound where the motor continuously turns.
Old 22nd February 2005, 04:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

This review might interest you:
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/feature...ay/index3.html

It was compared to a range of other quite expensive subs.

I'm not sure the technology is suitable for anything but fairly low bass, however. Apparently the servo drive is best for very high output down very low - LFE use. The distortion actually reduces as you turn it up to a point!

Hide this!Advertise here!