looking for information about Sub Horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thining about building a new enclosure for the sub in my car and I'm getting curious about horns. I"ve never looked into them so I know virtually nothing about them.

what are the drawbacks? are there any? I know they're a more efficient enclosure, but do they sacrifice any sound quality to accomplish this?

would this sub be a good candidate for a horn enclosure?
here are the specs.

Dimensions:
Frame Diameter: 10.5 in. (267 mm)
Mounting Hole Diameter: 8.74 in. (222 mm)
Mounting Depth: 8 in. (203 mm)
Overall Depth: 9.63 in. (245 mm)
Magnet Diameter: 6.55 in. (166 mm)
Pole Vent Clearance: 0.75 in. (19 mm)
Displacement: 0.09 cu. ft. (1.78 ltrs)

Enclosure Recommendations:
Sealed Range: 1.00 - 1.375 cu. ft. (28.3 - 38.9 ltrs)
Recommended Sealed Volume: 1.25 cu. ft. (35.4 ltrs.)
Fc: 44.7 Hz
F3: 40.7 Hz
Qtc: 0.785
Ported Range: 1.125 - 1.5 cu. ft. (31.9 - 42.5 ltrs)
Recommended Ported Volume: 1.5 cu. ft. (42.5 ltrs)
Recommended Tuning: 32 Hz
Port Type: “Slot” ports are recommended. See Data Sheet for detailed info

also, any links to write ups and the like would be great. Thanks guys

I am not an expert on horns, but i know they are generally best suited for large venue purposes where you want to propogate the wave in a concentrated, controlled fashion. Great for PA use, but in a car it would seem unnecessary and the benefit of a horn would not be realized because the space is so small.

really? It won't be just in the trunk, it will be fireing into the cabin in place of the back seat. I know that's not a lot of air space when looking at PA systems, but it's quite a bit more than just the trunk.

anyway, even if this won't work I'd still like to learn a little more about them. Any links?

thanks again

QMS - 7.647
QES - .578
BL - ?
XMAX - 23mm

The BL is not listed on JL's site. Can an enclosure be designed w/o this spec? What if I could give the specs of some of their other recomended enclosures (sealed and ported). Could you derive the BL from those enclosures with the others specs given with a box designing program?

Is there any loss of sound quality with a horn loaded enclosure as a general rule? I know some enclosures sacrifice sq for spl (as a general rule, not a blanket statement of course) in a specific range, is this an issue with a horn enclosure?

I put that in WinISD to have all the parameters:

Qes = 0,578
Qms = 7,647
Qts = 0,537
Fs = 30,6 Hz
Vas = 36,2 liters
Mms = 157,6 g
BL = 12,00650 N/A
Cms = 0,1717 mm/N
Dd = 22,16 cm
Rms = 3,96220 kg/s
Re = 2,750 ohms
Sd = 385,0 cm^3
Xmax = 23 mm
Pe = 500 W
Vd = 0,9 liters
n0 = 0,1747 %
Znom = 4,000 ohms
USPL = 89,22 dB / 2,83 V / 1 m
SPL = 84,58 dB / 1W / 1 m
EBP = 52,94 Hz

Cody-

What type of car?

I built a box that was "slot loaded" that won MANY competitions yrs ago..

If it is a hatchback type car you can face the divers down with a small gap between the floor and the box. Then position the box aprox 3 times the distance of the bottom gap from the rear of the car.

As the woofers pressurize the lower gap they will "vent" to the rear and then over the enclosure where the back glass is typically at an angle creating a huge horn without the bulk. I guess a better term is boundary loading.

If it is a sedan with a regular trunk... Well I guess you are SOL. :cannotbe:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.