Car horn question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2005, 03:33 PM   #11
Banned

My graphs are measured response, half-space (on the ground) outdoors, unless othwerwise noted. The AutoTuba response was measured in my car. Indoors in a HT setting it would be about 6dB lower, with a bit more accentuation of the lower end versus upper, as the cabin gain kicks in at a lower frequency outside of a vehicle.
Old 29th January 2005, 07:42 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Sorry, was there surpose to be a pic/link with your post bill?

I'm using the 15 purely because I have it sitting on my bedroom floor. How does the cone area actually influence the horns response?

My physics knowledge behind this kind of thing is not very good
Old 29th January 2005, 11:34 AM   #13
Banned

The size of the driver in and of itself doesn't affect response, but when the driver is that large it doesn't leave enough room for the horn. I do use a 15 in one of my Tubas, the 36. It measures 36x36x30 inches, which hardly qualifies it for auto sound, though I'm sure sooner or later someone will have to do so anyway.
Old 29th January 2005, 02:15 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
I thought driver size and throat area were closely related to compression? I guess not....
Old 29th January 2005, 10:30 PM   #15
Banned

Driver size and compression are closely related, it's the ratio of throat area to Sd. But there is no ideal throat size for a horn. You scale it to the Sd as required by the other parameters of the horn.
Old 29th January 2005, 10:40 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Sounds good to me....

Bill, how have you come to know so much about horns? Is it mainly real world experience, or has your past education been a major contributor?
Old 30th January 2005, 11:18 AM   #17
Banned

A bit of both, but most of what I've picked up over the last ten years has been self-acquired through building a lot of horns, on average six a year. Most of the major research on horns ended rather abruptly in the mid 1970s, when ported boxes designed with T/S theory and driven by high power solid state amps took over the market. Those of us who've wanted to go beyond 1970's horn technology have pretty much had to find our own way.
Old 31st January 2005, 11:59 PM   #18
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
Bill's designs are available on the internet, for a small price, but people report very good results. His first bass horn plan that he offered commercially has been gaining lots of attention, by fans and skeptics alike. But having heard one myself, I would say it does what it is designed to do, quite well. Part of the animosity towards the Tuba 24 horn is because the pro sound elite (with $1,000,000 rigs) feel affronted that people would try and seriously discuss the Tuba 24 as a professional subwoofer, even though it handily outpaces a single-18" subwoofer without being appreciably bigger. People don't want to take it seriously because Bill focuses on designs for the smaller market, but the designs are very serious in what they are capable of.
Old 1st February 2005, 12:45 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Why do you call your designs tuba? I get the autotuba, and the numbers... but the word tuba?

of course there is the brass instrument, but its hardly like a sub horn
Old 1st February 2005, 01:58 AM   #20
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
Well, it's not as agressive as some of the names that have been coming out, like "Punisher" (uses Ciare 12.00SW, huge output to 50 Hz but not much deep bass), "Crusher" (my own design, HL-10A driver horn loaded to 40 Hz when used 4 per side), etc., but Tuba really does reflect the curved nature of the horn folding in the Tuba 24, 30, 36, Autotuba, etc. and when you get right down to it, just because I call my design "Crusher" doesn't mean it will "crush" you any more than if I had just called it something boring, like BH-10, or something like that.

Hide this!Advertise here!