Pro Sound EV Subwoofer 133 db 1w/1m HOW TO BUILD?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
WOW, over christmas i went to a christmas formal with 8 of theese bad boys,

it was like sitting in an spl car in a 8 thousand square foot open area.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA HOW TO ACHIEVE THIS KIND OF SENSITIVITY/LOUDNESS/IN YOUR FACE BASS PLEASE LET ME KNOW,

they retail for 2500 US $
i would spend 400-500$ max.
Now the rule of thumb for building HiFi, as far as i understand is you can build something worth 5 times what it cost you to build it.

I challenge you brains to come up with a design for me.

Here's the link:
http://www.electrovoice.com/Electrovoice3/products.nsf/pages/QRx-218s

I'd like to see a parthenon do that.
thats some serious sensitivity. SOMEONE HELP ME KILL THIS CRAVING haha thanks again,

Jaden

That's a big typo- if you read closely, it says it does 133db at full power... the "1w/" should not be in there at all. If you do the math, it weighs in closer to 97 db efficiency, with some very good power handling. If you build two lab horns, you could blow one of those guys out of the water. Likewise, it looks like Bill Fitzmaurice has some new horn designs that would be more than competitive with lab horns or the subs you linked- you can check out his site. Lab horns have the plans freely available on the net for personal use (i think up to 6 units), and Bill has plans for sale.

But- you're right; if you build one of these designs, it should be competitive at 1/5th the price.

Joe

They've got a 102db sensitivity by the way.

There are many dual 18" subs that'll give you that sort of performance. I've built a 1200w rms BP6/manifold design with 101db sensitivity which'll match those EV's but won't go quite so low.

Cost was around £450 to £500

The EVs don't actually go very low. Again, it's the fine print: 'useable response to 31 Hz', which is the 10dB down point. For prosound subs that's not bad, but for HT it wouldn't even qualify as a sub. Being a vented box with 4th order roll-off the SPL at 16 Hz would be 68dB/watt. Even with a thousand watts input the max output would be a mere 98dB, and that assumes zero power compression, which isn't possible anyway. Is it a good box? For it's intended purpose, yes. Beatable? Quite easily, actually.

hi

the dual 18 inche sound very punchy & difficult to beat at full power , they really play loud distortion free - continuously

i was just pondering other options than a horn

to beat the price - can u yet use the evx 180 b , then if you build the cabs ure self it will save you quite a bit of money

along with it if you build the 1982 1000 w rms mosfet amp from elektor ( with hexfet driver stage ) they have a huge current capacity for the lows - and have 1 amp per driver - you could come up to quite a close competition with the 180 b s

other drivers to use would be 4 x jbl 2226 15 inches ( 2 4 ohms series - ed per channel )

suranjan das gupta

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.