Non-plate subwoofer amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I prefer to build passive subs so I can use any other amp in the future. I am currently using an "outboard" plate amp installed in a custom made wood box. I'm interested in a subwoofer amp in a normal form factor. NHT sells one - and SVS sells the Samson. Are there others? Any recommended? Someone suggested the Crown K2, but $1400 is way to much for me.

That's a bit sarcastic for a moderator... or not? :D

Coming from you, I see your comment this way: "If you are lucky enough to get a QSC RMX that won't blow up in the first 10 minutes, it's probably a "lemon", so it will last several years, be reliable and it will sound good."

Why everybody recommend them then?

How about a Crown K1? You can usually find one for about half the cost on Ebay. I got my K2 for $900, and I don't regret it one bit. 1250 Watts per channel into a 2 ohm load, or 2500 watts bridged mono into a 4 ohm load:devilr:

I just checked and there are 3 K1's for sale and 6 K2's for sale on ebay . Higest price for a K2 so far is $825

I prefer passive subs because:

- I'm not locked in to the plate sub I choose when I build the sub
- If the plate amp fails I can substitute something else
- no possibility of air leaks from the amp
- no rattles ever because of the amp
- no controls on a sub which may be in an inconvenient place
- I think it is slightly preferable to run speaker wire than interconnect wire to the sub

So my ideal sub amp would have all the features of a plate amp in a 2U rack chassis.

I currently use a plate amp (Keiga) mounted "outboard" in a small wooden box. Of course if the amp fails - I can remove it and repair or replace with the exact same unit. I don't want to be limited to the exact same unit. I may want a different one. And of course they have different dimensions. What could be better than having the controls in my main rack of equipment instead of on the back panel of a sub stuffed in a corner behind something else?

So far the best suggestion I received is the Outlaw M200 1u rack mount mono amp at $299. No crossovers so perhaps a Behringer or similar could be used. It is definitely an audio-type unit compared with the pro-sound suggestions I have also received. The Crown K looks very good but $$$$.

hofffam said:
I prefer to build passive subs so I can use any other amp in the future. I am currently using an "outboard" plate amp installed in a custom made wood box. I'm interested in a subwoofer amp in a normal form factor. NHT sells one - and SVS sells the Samson. Are there others? Any recommended? Someone suggested the Crown K2, but $1400 is way to much for me.

I use an Adcom 555ii. Convection cooled, 200W into 8 Ohms, 325 into 4, 600 bridged into 8, 850 bridged into 4 for $350-$400 used. Rack ears are available; I'd bet on 4U.

Drew Eckhardt said:

It lets you combine a smaller box, linkwitz transform, and drivers with a huge Pmax to create louder lower bass with better SAF.

ahhh, I see.

No SAF to worry about here... I cant hear anything below 27hz anyway, and if I turn it up where I can feel that.. the neighbors come banging on my door (hazards of apartment living).

One of these days im gonna have to try a linkwitz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.