what size amp for DPL 12 wired for 4 ohm?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi, i have a DPL 12 from Adire in a 142.5 L EBS box with 4" pvc port tuned to 16hz. i was planning on getting the PE #300-804 240 watt amp into 4 ohm and 150 watt into 8 ohm to drive it with. i've been told 150 watts is about all i should push it with due to excursion reasons and that i should run on one coil for 8 ohm load to be safe from over excursion. my question is, would it be safe enough to run both coils for 4 ohm load for a little more spl and extra headroom as long as i'm careful not to over drive the sub? ps. i don't listen at high volume levels any way. thanks for any advice, crippledchicken :)

hi simon5, i'll sure do that and what i'll do is run the sub upside down at first and observe the excursion on various sources before i decide the safest level. i've always been into audio as my main hobby for about 30 years so, i can usually judge when a speaker is being over driven or, getting close. i know those sudden bursts of LF is what needs close attention mainly. i don't listen loud any way and it's mostly music. i thought i would try running the sub off my adcom gfp 565 preamp, using the normal outputs so, i can use the tone controls on the sub which the bass control is at 20hz which might also come in handy to help reduce the chance of over excursion by cutting back on the control if needed especially, on HT. on music, i dont think it will be quite as prone to over excursion. thanks for your help, crippledchicken :)

I would definately reccomend that amp, i just recieved mine and im very happy. It also has a rumble filter just below the tuning of the EBS shiva, so it should help control excursion too. Using a rheostat across the second coil and leaving one open would allow you to dial the ts parameters very close to that of a dpl being driven with two coils, but it would be very difficult to calculate just how much resistance it would need.

Good luck with that sub! Im sure it will turn out GREAT!

BTW something you may want to look into, some recievers have a built in peak subwoofer voltage limiter, may want to look into that.

xstephanx said:
I would definately reccomend that amp, i just recieved mine and im very happy. It also has a rumble filter just below the tuning of the EBS shiva, so it should help control excursion too. Using a rheostat across the second coil and leaving one open would allow you to dial the ts parameters very close to that of a dpl being driven with two coils, but it would be very difficult to calculate just how much resistance it would need.

BTW something you may want to look into, some recievers have a built in peak subwoofer voltage limiter, may want to look into that.
hi xstephanx, finally got my pc up and running again and noticed your response. yeah, i think i'll be satisfied with the amp and it should arrive tomorow so i guess i'll soon find out. between the rumble filter and, the +/- 10 db. bass control on the preamp at 20hz, along with my normal conservative listening levels, i should be able to control the excursions with no problems. should have it going tomorow i'll let you know the results. thanks, crippledchicken

:)

xstephanx said:

hi there, youre right! the #300-804 from PE is a pretty decent amp. i finally got the sub all together and it seems to be doing a pretty good job. i plan to get the Adire PR15 to go with it latter, and see how that goes. cheers, crippledchicken

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.