8,8 meter basshorn "6090 Monster"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gazza,
that link talked of infrasonics up to 150hz NO WAY! infrasound is defined as frequencys below 15hz!

It seems possible that infrasound could be used for weapons but the level of intensity must be insanely high. You're not going to start feeling sick from 5hz @ 100db or something like that.

Most people like to believe that you cannot hear sounds below 20Hz, but infrasound isn’t always inaudible. Just trace down a phon curve and you'll find the sound pressure you need to hear the infrabass;)
Diesel motors on oil tankers and other large vehicles sometimes make audible infrasound as low as 3 Hz. I have experienced infrasound from an oil tanker called Stena Ugland at one kilometers distance, and it was possible to count the 5 Hz.

Recently an "infrabass" team from England have been doing research with an infrabass cannon. They define infrasound as a vibration that occurs fewer than 20 times a second.
After taking the cannon to a consert and playing infrabass sounds during some of the songs, the crowd had to fill out a scheme where they described their feelings during each song. Even though all the infrabass where played at non audible levels more than 20% of the crowd had panic like feelings, and some even started to cry during the songs where a 19Hz tone was used. A test with a 19 Hz tone should not be a problem for the guys posting here in the subwoofer forum I guess (go for it:)

Here is the result from the English "infrabass" team:
...so it's official! Infrasound can make you feel weird when it's added to the musical mix. This result is of considerable interest to psychologists, acousticians and musicians - infrasound has been used in sacred music for at least 400 years and has been implicated in the strange experiences reported at seemingly haunted sites.

Interesting? OH.. YEAH!

This is the most interessting thread I have ever read!

About infrasound... The US Army tested with infrasound in the Vietnam war in the seventies.
The testreorts have been bublished in two books that cost alot of money.
I really want those books!

Anyone herad of them?

Skramstad:
Is it possible for me to come and look and listen at your horns one day?
Allready looking forward to it!

Happy Easter, folks!

Pål

Hi Pål,

those books seems interesting, really would like to get hold of one of those. Please tell me if you get more info about them:)

I think I have to wait a little while before I can fire up the 6090 Monster again. Last time i fired it up in the barn, the whole floor (made of 3"x6") vibrated so much that the boats on the first floor got a lot of dust and dirt in them (not very popular).

There's a lot of horn enthusiasts who want to listen to the horn, so there would maybe be a good idea to throw a party outdoors as soon as the snow disappears. Akb1212 on this forum has two Servodrive Basstech 7 and as soon as he gets the S&T parameters on the servo drivers inside, we have plans of designing a special throat (and maybe a rear chamber if it seems logical) so we can load them on the 6090 Monster.

I guess there should be possible to go an entire octave lower with the servo motors compared to the PHL 6090. I think I have found out that you never can reach lower than one octave below a drivers fs when you load it on a horn (the PHLs fs is 35Hz and the horns response goes flat down to about 18Hz).
Others who has experienced similar effects?

Hi Skramstad

Those Servo units from memory have high excursion and extremely high mass with extremely high motor strength, eg BL 40 and inches of linear movement.

Check this forum for Tomservo posts

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=hug&n=56671&highlight=motor+tomservo&r=&session=

Here is one of those drivers, it is an example of a heavier stronger horn driver, requiring a 3:1 compression ratio (our servomotor driven BT-7 horn)
Sd = 266 sq in
Fs =20 Hz
BL = 27
Rdc = 2
MMS = 885 gms
Xmech 3 / 4 inch peak (rotary motor system has no Xmax).

My opinion of what will happen on an optimised horn for these units,is increased low end potential because of increased displacement potential from the drivers. But below horn cutoff only slightly more output is possible due to lack of loading care would be required.

BassAwdyO said:
Gazza,
that link talked of infrasonics up to 150hz NO WAY! infrasound is defined as frequencys below 15hz!

It seems possible that infrasound could be used for weapons but the level of intensity must be insanely high. You're not going to start feeling sick from 5hz @ 100db or something like that.

Im sure that you will have a similar effect of impending doom with 150dB SPL at 100hz. Differing frequencies will effect different parts of the body ofcourse

Is it the feeling where your sight gets blurred?

Guess you have 210 or 211 cabs to get that feeling with a VOT based system;) Tried to get some sound pressure out of my former system (fiberglass reinforced 628 cabs with the 904 drivers), even had 12dB amp headroom, but it did not get quite loud enough on low enough frequencies I guess.

My commercial A-7 package

The effect is likely hydraulic deformation of the eyeball shape. It was weird and interesting but I would not wish to endure it for long. Probably get sick quickly. The focus and relative position of objects in the field of view were pulsing to the bass beat/kick. This is within about 2 meters of the full quad array of A-7 bins (416 woofers), set atop four 816A bass bins (just the flare portion of an A-7 with an extra BR port). 100 W RMS on each A-7, (Altec 1594A amps), 200 W RMS on each 421-8H-SII woofer in the four 816A's, (Altec 9440A amp). 1200 W RMS total. Hearing protectors were worn, a must at this proximity. This system will ruffle pant legs at 100 feet outdoors. Not only pretty loud but the sound quality is to die for, especially so when played outdoors!

I built it in the early 90's for a mobile video roadshow application to serve up to 5000 people in an outdoor setting with a 15x20 foot video screen that popped up off the top of a large 5-ton truck. Video projector was the mighty Eidophor.

BTW, this complete fine audio system, 8 speaker cabinets, audio equipment rack on wheels and speaker snake is for sale.

Regarding the Tigers' sound, I'm sure it's not the sound itself immobilizing prey, but just hearing such a that sound at a low enough frequency so it can't be localized that does the trick. Can you imagine walking along in tiger territory and hearing such a sound come from all around you? You'd freeze too.

If mountain biking is blurring your vision, imagine what it's doing to your ****s. That's why that kind of biking leads to sterility.

actaully, its only happened once or twice and when your going through a section like that, your normally not sitting down. Second; its not the vibration that causes problems (hence most women would be infertile by now in the modern age), its sitting on a seat that puts most of the pressure directly on your 'main supply line' artery. With modern seat design heavily influenced by doctors, that problem is all but completely eliminated.

Sharing some fun:)

Hi!

Have not had the chance to play so much with last years hornproject, but finally some friends and I had the opportunity to listen to some big bass.

The 6090 horn has grown since last time, and is actually 9m long (just had to lengthen it since 8,8m is so close to 9). The good part is that the extra 20cm also works as bracing. However the force working on the hornwalls of such a horn is enormous all the way down to the throat, so even more bracing is needed.

Attachments

• 9m-horn-view1forweb.jpg
    9m-horn-view1forweb.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,761
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.