Beginner Subwoofer, house party - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2005, 06:55 PM   #1
magajab is offline magajab  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Beginner Subwoofer, house party

ok,

Basically we like throwing very big house parties, 3 of us are dj's and we already have a decent system but we want to make it feel like a club e.g a lot of bass whilst keeping clarity.

Me and my housemates (Im at Kent Uni) just clubbed together to buy two 15" subwoofers.

Currently what we have is..

100 watt technics amp.
2x 15" 250 watt subs
A Shabby cupboard which is about 45x15x15 (very rough estimate but a decent size, could be used as an enclosure)

This is our first project and my question is this, do we need a crossover / graphic equaliser / some other gizmo to sit inbetween the drivers and amp in lamens terms and where could we get this stuff in the UK.

What are your suggestions. The possibility of building our own enclosure could be done.

Cheers, Joe
Old 11th January 2005, 08:51 PM   #2
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

First, you need to find the T/S parameters of the drivers. If you build the enclosure well enough, you will not absolutely need fancy parametric equalizers and the like, but if you can get one, get it to correct nasty room modes that you might have. You'll need to build a lowpass crossover and maybe a rumble filter if you want some protection down low.

If your amplifier can really output 100W RMS and you build something big enough, it will be loud.
Old 11th January 2005, 09:04 PM   #3
Hennie is offline Hennie  South Africa
diyAudio Member

A bass horn is ideal for such a situation. Horn directivity gives good punch and clarity. SPL is another benefit. The higher cutoff compared to vented or sealed helps to maintain good punch and clarity.

But your driver may not be suitable for horn loading.

If not suitable for horn loading and you are going for vented, less extension maybe better. But whatever you do, do not go for audiophile type bass alignment in your application.

How big is the room you want to use it in?
Old 11th January 2005, 09:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Not sure i have the knowledge or time to build a crossover, would I be able to buy one?

The amp I have gives out roughly 95 watt per channel true power its a bit of a beast.

What would happen if i installed the woofers and wired them to a graphic straight tot he amp with everything but bass turned down using an equaliser?
Old 11th January 2005, 09:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The room is largish but will b filled with people, the aim is to have a vibrating dance floor and that bass feeling. The last house party 200 people turned up so we've decided to raise the bar for this next one...

We play hip hop and drum n bass so all very bass intensive and punchy. Would the two 15" cones provide such an effect?

The system at present is the 100 watt technics amp running 2 120 watt floor standers. The system with the new subwoofer will run off of the current amp with a nice new (old) vintage harmon kardon 60 watt v nice amp running the floortsanders.
Old 11th January 2005, 10:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

To me it sounds like a bass horn will be the best for your application. The problem is to design a horn for a specific driver (if it is suitable for horn use). Horns are a bit specialized and for a novice the best approach is to stick to a proven design.

Please post technical details of your drivers.

Doing a search for bass horn threads on this forum may give you a better idea about them.

Active crossovers can be bought but you would need a separate amp. Someone on this forum may help you to design a simple active crossover.

Is the amp you mentioned dedicated to the subs?

A passive crossover will not be a good option, because there will probably be a difference in efficiency between the main speakers and the subs, whether ported or hornloaded. Low frequency passive crossovers are also not very practical.
Old 11th January 2005, 10:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

W.r.t. the equalizer/crossover issue: Yes, that is not ideal, but sure you can start off that way. But you will get very limited attenuation of the higher freq's. By putting the sub very close to the mains you can male it less noticable.
Old 11th January 2005, 10:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The sub will be run from a dedicated amp, the main speakers provide very good mid and high frequencies we just want a strong low end that shakes peopels insides.

If I wire the amp straight to the bass drivers and mount them both at the bottom of the box firing towards the floor would I egt this effect? Sound quality is important but wouldnt the mid and high end be covered by the floortanders mixed with the 'thud' of the sub?

I am sure this all sounds very basic for the 'audiophile' amongst you but my knowledge (which will improve) is yet sufficient to create an advanced box although I feel I can achieve something that fits what we require... A loud, very bassy sound that vibrates the dance floor and the people dancing.
Old 11th January 2005, 10:52 PM   #9
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

Downfiring is a good idea, especially if you can put the subwoofer in a corner, another benefit.

If you want to turn everything down except the bass, I think it's better to put the graphic equalizer before the amplifier, 100W RMS in the graphic EQ... well...

The best bass for you would be with the bass horn, or at least a ported enclosure.

We still need technical information on your subwoofer drivers. You can't build a box blind folded. Especially a horn or a ported subwoofer. It will not sound good, and if it sounds good, it would sound even better.
Old 11th January 2005, 10:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

My mate bought these pretty much blind fold, I kno they probably arent the best of quality and I have no details on them yet but you must understand we are students that like lots of bass What are your suggestions for such a project?

Hide this!Advertise here!