Beginner Subwoofer, house party

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm just wondering how long it will last as the decks will pick up quite a bit of feedback from those subs like that and shake themselves to pieces. You definitely want to stick with a sealed box for it to stand any chance of surviving.

You might want to investigate how to build a high-pass filter. Something 3rd- or 4th-order at 20-25Hz should do the job.

What do we think? As long as you are happy that's the main thing!

What are you using for a crossover? Is it active or passive?

What you really want is an active filter. Ideally a variable lowpass filter with 12db/octave - 24db/octave slope. You might benefit also from a highpass filter to reduce really deep bass that might give you overexcursion problems. This might be set between 30 - 50 Hz, a lot of PA amps have this feature in fact. You might also like to have a bit of parametric eq. I have one on my sub - you can vary the boost/cut, the centre frequency and you select the filter Q (width) with a resistor. When I'm in the mood for some loud music with some chest pounding bass I boost the midbass with this, although for critical listening I don't use it. Clubs have a massive amount of bass around 50 Hz and that's what gives you the chest pounding effect.

Hey Majajab

If your wardrobe-cabinet is assembled like most of those one buys nowdays it might well shake itself to pieces in time.

I'd suggest you do two simple things which won't cost much and which will almost certainly make your sub sound better. (less 'boom-boom' and more 'thud-thud')

1. Get some square section cleating (like square wood bar), 1-1.5" square from your local hardware store and both glue and nail it along each inside corner of your cabinet, making a box-frame. Think of it as 'lining all the corners'. Also fit the cleating across the inside of each of the panel faces, at the centre. This reinforcing will make a stiffer box which should sound cleaner.

2. You didn't mention whether you've used any sound damping material (stuffing) inside. Fibrewool loft insulation makes for a simple damping material; line the inside of your box with a 2" layer of loft insulation. (Wear gloves when handling the stuff; it's horrible on the hands.) And if you can't get hold of that, get a few thinnish pillows and nail them to the inside walls of the box instead.

Simple stuff - try it.

Cheers

John Hope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.