Cheap watts for sub array? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2005, 07:58 PM   #21
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.oaudio.com/500W_SUBAMP.html
Old 19th January 2005, 03:23 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Although I don't generally like implementing plate amps, that one has some good features. An adjustable rumble filter is something rarely seen. Parametric eq with variable Q is also quite handy. I have one with constant Q and I find it quite useful as a quick way to tweak the bass a little. Its not something I set once and leave, or rely on to eq the sub as a whole, but something that I might vary according to what I'm listening to.
Old 2nd November 2006, 04:14 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Talking Metron A4000

Hi, In response to RMhuzinga, you are so right about the Metron A4000. I actually got my hands on one of these monsters. It does on fact have two huge toroidal transformers. It also has four MASSIVE power supply caps, 22,000uF/100V each. It is a dual mono design as with the Cerwin Vega A600..A friend of mine has an A600. Another difference between the two is that the Cerwin Vega A600 is actually manufactured in the USA. The Metron A4000 (or Cerwin Vega A4000) is manufactured in Japan and designed in the USA. In both cases (the A4000 and the A600), I beleive the power rating is as follows: 350w/ch. at 8 ohms; 550w/ch at 4 ohms and 750 w/ch at 2 ohms. They actually carry 2 ohm continuous power ratings!. Cerwin Vega amps are very underrated as far as public perception. They are very similar in this respect to the Bose 1801 power amp (I also own one of these). People associated both Cerwin Vega and Bose as being speaker manufacturers and nevr really took any of them as seriously as Marantz and Sansui for example. The proof is that the C.V. and Bose amps typically sell for less than half the price of comparably powered Sansui and Marantz, and yet perform every bit as good as them. Take it from me who also owns a Sansui BA5000. I you ever have a chance to put your hands on either Cerwin Vega amp or a Bose 1801 at a resonable price, grab it, you will be very happy you did !
Old 2nd November 2006, 04:37 PM   #24
Bogie is offline Bogie  United States
diyAudio Member

Ahhh... Almost two years later...

Bogie's Bunker has... uhhh... changed a little...

Behringer EP2500 on the LFE subs, with a 20hz fmod, because I ordered one of those ozzie circuit boards, and the darn things are so dang tiny that it's sitting on my shelf, destined to be given to a buddy...

Added a Behringer FBQ3102 equalizer for the mains, and since it had a sub-out, and Guitar Center's webgeek screwed up, I added a Crown XLS402 to run a pair of 0.9Q sealed Quatro 15s under the mains - I'm setting them at 25 highpass and 120 lowpass. Running the mains and the subs through a Behringer MDX4600 limiter (not using the compressor/expander stuff on it much).

The mains are running on a Crown XLS602 (thanks, webgeek... $250), and the sides are on another XLS402 (Brook Mays Music went outta business....). The rears are a Behringer A500 (cheap locally on the 'bay)... The center is a bridged Hafler P-230...

I've gotten REAL good with XLR cables... And added a pair of 20 amp circuits.

And I've got a friend who, after a lot of nagging, is planning on selling a ready-made subwoofer adjustable crossover/rumble filter module.
Old 23rd September 2008, 01:04 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Metron amps are awesome

Currently running a metron myself and I love it.

Bought it off Ebay.

What a monster.

Hide this!Advertise here!