Compact sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently I finished two Solo 103s speakers (http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Solo103.html) that are based around the Fostex 103e and driven by the Death of Zen Amplifier from a Rod Elliott DIY design. Although I am very pleased with the mids/highs and dynamics, of course bass is, at best, fair.
Right now I am looking for DIY plans for a compact sub that can complement these little speakers (these are rated 5Watt RMS, sensitivity approx. 89db/w/m, nothing there below 85Hz).
It does not have to be a killer sub, not at all, just firm tight bass of low to moderate SPL. Quality way above quantity here. Any suggestions are really appreciated. Thx!

DocLorren

Thx Richie00boy,

I was indeed thinking about an 8" (or 10" at maximum) woofer with an 40-80watt amp, but I was hoping you or anyone reading this thread could provide me with information on projects/plans that have proven themselves as good subs in a small form factor. Again, it is only meant to complement/extent a low-power fullrange speaker system, not to shake the house. Thx in advance,

DocLorren

wishlist compact sub

Maximum volume 50 liter but preferably less, I would rather have a flat rectangular shape than a boxy enclosure; freq range approx from 45-120hz, max SPL not important, active system. To be made from plywood or MDF (easy material), unobtrusive, cost not that important.
Thanks for your input!

In 50 liters you can get flat response from the mid teens up to 150+ Hz at high output levels (105dB+), and very low distortion at moderate levels, in a sealed enclosure with minimized group delay. Of course, the approach is probably 180 degrees from what someone having a preference for fullrange Fostex drivers would like, but there are such solutions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.