Finishing the outside of a sonosub? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2005, 10:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Finishing the outside of a sonosub?

I have my sonosub in-room, but unfinished. It uses the Blueprint 1503 in a ~5.3 cubic foot, ported enclosure tuned to 20Hz. Works very well for home theater.

I am needing to finish it, though. It is not very attractive as a large white cylinder with "Easy Pour Concrete Forms" written across it every 6 inches.

I am really thinking I'd like it to be a "piano black" finish, but have no idea what I should buy to create this. I've seen a couple of DIY subs with this finish, but never seen what they used for it. Bear in mind, I'll be painting a cardboard tube with plywood endcaps.

I was also considering that black plastic truck bed-liner spray you can find at automotive stores... but I'd prefer the glossy black any day. Not sure if it'll look as good on a cylinder, but I love it on a cube/rectangular speakers.

Thanks for any suggestions
Old 2nd January 2005, 11:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to xstephanx
wet paint, and paper dont go well together, the easiest way of finishing a sonosub, is to make a large stretchy sock that slides over the tube, or you can use two if one layer still shows the white underneath. Happy boomin
Old 2nd January 2005, 11:11 PM   #3
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
We painted one and it worked out pretty well actually. I didn't see any problems with it.

When I get around to mine, I can't decide whether ot be ugly and staple green shag carpet to it, or to paint it and coat with varnish or lacquer to look real shiny. I certainly think I'll move away form the ugly carpet idea, that was just a joke.
Old 2nd January 2005, 11:13 PM   #4
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

Probably better to paint it with a oil based paint I presume?
Old 2nd January 2005, 11:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to xstephanx
COME ON! ugly rules and you know it, i wanna put like faux fur on mine, and ive got these carabou horns, i can tip it on its side, screw the horns on,. Its funny cause if the port is where the bum should be....and all this air is coming out of it...*snigger*

Partic sun made a waterheater, and then made different color strips going across it horizontally, then stuck a BIG ribbon on it that said "bassmaker!"

I think we need more creative subwoofers out there. Maybe one of you who is so unlucky to have a strict wife can write my wife is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wonderful on the side, something like that.

Now that ive wasted all of your time with my teenage antics, i will summarise with saying "put that down as one vote for the green fur"
Old 2nd January 2005, 11:49 PM   #6
jbandpc is offline jbandpc  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Finish Options

Here's an option, but it would require a re-do.

Instead of the paper form, use wood (like maple).
http://www.kelleratthecore.com/
This company makes drum shells and stuff for many top-of-the-line drum companies as well as cylinders for other applications.

You could then finish with tongue oil or whatever you want.
Old 2nd January 2005, 11:50 PM   #7
jbandpc is offline jbandpc  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ...

forgot this link too. Smae company - wider array of products.
http://www.kellerproducts.com/2ourpr...edplywood.html
Old 3rd January 2005, 12:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman
Default Re: Finishing the outside of a sonosub?

Quote:
Originally posted by needtubes
I am really thinking I'd like it to be a "piano black" finish, but have no idea what I should buy to create this. I've seen a couple of DIY subs with this finish, but never seen what they used for it. Bear in mind, I'll be painting a cardboard tube with plywood endcaps.

Well im not sure how they do the piano's but this is how i would do it.

Go down to lowes or Home depot or w/e and get either some very thin plywood or some of the artificial cork board that bends so easy.

I reccomend sorking the plywood before forming and perhaps a spritz of water on the cork board. form it around the tube, get some straps like you strap stuff down with in the back of a pickup and strap it up tight. at least one on each and and one in the middle. Let it dry over night or blow dry it.

Now that it is dry glue it on. Wood glue would work buti reccomend epoxy. after the glue has dried sand the seam smooth then used either a wood filler or some sort of automtotive stick-to-anything filler to smooth any imperfections out. sand untill its baby butt's smooth.

Next get some dark grey primer. Wipe it with tack cloth, do a coat of primer and sand it, wiper it with tack cloth, then do another and sand it. then wipe agian with tack cloth.

Get some Jet black automotive (acrylic) paint and do 3 coats of that, sand a little inbetween each coat and wipe with tack cloth between each coat.

Now you should have a very black tube, but its not glossy. get some automtovive (acrylic) clear coat and sand that black finish with high grit paper untill its very very smooth, patching any place that needs so if you sand through. once you are satisfied with your color wipe it down with tack cloth then shoot a coat of clear. 3-4very light coats instead of 1-2 heavy ones. sand any cat eyes or runs you get with 300-500 grit paper. wet sand if nesisary to get cat eyes out. your last coat should be your best. wet sand with 600 then 800 grit and buff it out.

Wax if nessisary

you now have black and glossy finish.

Materials:
-Cork Board
-Bondo Body Filler (or somthing similar)
-Tack Cloth
-Spray gun (a cheap one will do. its not like it has to be automotive beautiful unless that is what you want)
-Paint
-Clear coat
-Sand paper rangeing from 200-800 grit wet or dry.
Old 3rd January 2005, 08:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Doesn't sonotube have a waxy coating on it as a release agent for the formed concrete? If so, the adhesive will have to be chosen very carefully.

If not, and you do the laminate layer method, you can probably use 3M Super 99 spray adhesive... easy to apply, effectively no curing time needed, and very strong. The readily available Super 77 will probably also work but it is not a very good permanent adhesive.

Why not laminate sound diffuser foam (egg crate) to the outside? It might be ugly but it would minimize radiated sound from the sides. protect it during a fall and prevent it from rolling around.

:)ensen.
Old 3rd January 2005, 08:37 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

One technique for tubes is to glue outside corner molding to the surface as depicted below.

I did this once and it looked great after staining and clear coating.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ocm.gif (3.6 KB, 274 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!