Bandpass Woofer Box Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a problem with resonation in the current box I have, and my brother-in-law, who builds boxes all the time and installs them, suggested that I build a bandpass box. My current box is small, and inadequate for the woofer. The woofer is a 10" diameter, 4 ohm impedance, handles 600 watts maximum, and is manufactured by Q-power. This box design is for my room, so I have a bit more room. My current box is about 7" bottom side, 4" top side, 14" across, and 13" high. I'm going to scrap the bottoms and sides, and make it symmetrical. I was thinking about leaving the front and back the same. I was wondering if my idea for 10" back box, and 7" for the front box, with a 7" x 8" x 1/2" plexiglass panel inset into the front window with a 1 1/2" diameter port above the woofer in the back face would be good for resonation and low frequency response. The magnet is about 6" back. If you have any better dimensions please respond with your opinions. I am also a beginner at this kind of stuff, and I'm 16. I can wire and tweak stuff like a mad man, but resonation and acoustics is not my best side. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

You'll need to know the T/S parameters, Fs Vas Qts etc.

Else trying to build a (what sounds to be a 4th order) band pass enclosure will be a Krap-shoot.

If you have them (the T/S) when you can use one of many free box modeling programs to calulate the PROPER volumes for the band pass enclosure as well as the port. 1 1/2 " dia port would be too small IMHO.

Good Luck.

yes download WinISD. i dont know of link at the moment but i will find one or someone will post one. Find all of the parameters and enterthem into WinISD's database (or woofer may or may not already be loaded into the database) and then select 4th or 6th order bandpass and it will calculate everything from Port length and area to volume and even show you what sort of responce you can expect to get.
if you are into the adventuous spirit try a 6th order. there are no real world formulas for it but it is worth a try. instead of porting just one chamber you port both chambers. this gives a greater dB/Octave slope and makes the box more efficent.

I kinda like resonation better. Actually, according to dictionary.com resonation is a word. Back to the thread topic... I dont know that a bandpass box would slove your problem. I dont know what it is you are describing by the term resonation. Perhaps port chuffing from the tiny port, or maybe something else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.