Noob Tempest Questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2005, 07:51 AM   #1
Ranthum is offline Ranthum  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Noob Tempest Questions

This is my first attempt at building a home sub. I've built a few for my car, but nothing too complex. I've been doing quite a bit of reading and I decided that i wanted to use an adire tempest based on price(i'm in college and don't have much cash) and performance. I still have a few questions though(if they've already been asked, I apoligize as I couldn't find what I was looking for).
Where can I order a tempest from? Every site that carries them seems to be sold out.
I am looking at building the low q sealed or adire vented enclosure from the adire website. Which would be more suited to mostly ht use, or is there a better design without taking up more space?
Also, I've heard that it's better not to brace it so the enclosure so that it gets divided into equal sections. What's the best way to do it with the adire plans?
I've looked at a few amplifiers but don't really know which one to choose. I'm looking at the 250w from MCM electronics, PE, or Rythmik. I might possibly spend a little extra and get the 350w from Rythmik if it would be worth it(I'd like to spend as little as possible but still get the best bang for my buck). Which would you choose?
That's all for now. Thanks in advance.

Josh

PS Right now my system consists of a yamaha htr-5760 and fluance sx-htb speaker package. I'm in a small dorm room now, but I want a sub that acts well in a larger room once I move out(i'd like it to be flat to 25 anechoic). I might add a BFB to help out, but not right away.
Old 2nd January 2005, 02:31 PM   #2
Grahamt is offline Grahamt  Canada
diyAudio Member

You can find a list of suppliers on the Adire website. The Tempests are available from www.creativesound.ca but they dont have many left. There will apparently be new stock in Feb.

The best solution for the box is to copy one of the Adire plans. They are tried and true and fairly easy to make.

I built the EBS alignment with 250w and that is plenty. I think I am excursion limited in this design.
Old 2nd January 2005, 03:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman
Just order factory direct from adire. to my area code it is $16 S&H but i found a dealer in tennese that iwll ship it for free so i bought mine there. but $16 is a small price to pay for this amazing woofer.

As far as low bass extension goes. Ported would be your best option. The tempest has a resonant frequincy of around 18Hz. You dont need to go much lower do you? Play around in WinISD or, like you said, just use one of adires proven designs.
Old 2nd January 2005, 04:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to xstephanx
Ported, for sure. As said creativesound or adire(direct) can both hook you up with a tempest, but there are other dealerships on the adire website, so youcould always find one close to you. If you have the space, you can make a BIG enclosure(260Lish) and tune LOW (13hz ish) and that will match room gain pretty well so youll be flat way into infrasound. IMO i need bass down to 16hz, more movies than you think have infrasonic bass material*.

*some examples are
Finding nemo: whale scene
BHD: chopper blades beating air scene (BIG lump at 5hz)
LOTR ROTK: sauron ring drop, elephant collision.

I believe there is a thread on HTF that has spectrum analysis on many movie scenes.
Old 2nd January 2005, 04:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman
Yes that is true. if you are a big movie man very low tuning feels great when something explodes or a car engine is running. the movie i hate the most, 2fast2furious has alot of Subbass frequincies. All of the explosions and car exausts. when your couch is rocking like you are in the car, ahh thats a true movie experence.
Old 2nd January 2005, 04:42 PM   #6
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

I ordered all my stuff from Acoustic Visions, best prices I found.

http://www.acoustic-visions.com/

No shipping fees from Adire drivers, ports and really small shipping fees for plate amplifiers.
Old 2nd January 2005, 07:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all of the replys. I've checked about all of the suppliers on the adire website and i think only 1 online store still had them in stock and they were the only ones not giving free shipping. If that's all thats left, i'll just have to pay for shipping but if you know of a place with them in stock and have free shipping I'd like to know. I was thinking I wanted to go ported, but wanted to be sure. Also, I saw that parts express had some 3" flared ports on sale(269-932). Would they be a suitable replacement for the adire ports? Finally, is there much of a difference between the MCM, Rythmik or PE amps? The rythmik seems to be the best, but I know there are some things that they don't tell you. Thanks.
Josh
Old 5th January 2005, 08:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Anybody? Still wondering which plate amp is the best. Also, will the PE ports work for the 3rd vented box design on the adire tempest recommended? Box specs say an 11" long tube with the adire flares. It's a 1 piece flared tube with an 11 1/2" length. Would they be the same or real close? How much would it change the tuning? Thanks.

Josh

PS I ordered a sub, but i don't know if they will be able to ship one or not. Any other sites that carry them for under 160 shipped would be appreciated.
Old 5th January 2005, 09:37 PM   #9
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

If it's flared both ends and if it's the same diameter, it will probably be ok.
Old 6th January 2005, 01:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
Do you have a link to the MCM and PE amps? I'm familar with what rythmik has and their amps are pretty good. On the nonsevo amps you can get a LT add on, there are numberous features such as continuous phase adjustment, 107db+ S/N, gold plated connectors, thermal protection, adjustable crossover, you name it. I dont know what those other guys have to offer, but most likely not nearly as many features

Hide this!Advertise here!