Mixing subwoofers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well it IS the same driver, but the frequency response will be entireles different on both of them, which might result in cancellation?. Unless you were to say, use 4 of them in large low tuned enclosures for 25hz or 30hz and below then use two for the sealed boxes that would pick up from there. Then you have to think of how hard it is to properly integrate 6 sealed subs into one room(assuming they arent stacked). now think about all the diffculties there will be in the set up. Why not try an IB set up? with that many 15s....

EDIT****

Or! why not keep the two ported ones, and then make a pair of dipoles? then the dipoles can do all the 30hz+ and the vented can do 30-?

Simon's got it right, the wave cancelation shouldnt occur unless one of your subs is wired up reverse polarity. There might be a slight cancelation at Fb of the ported enclosures however due to the typical spike in group delay there :bigeyes:. Does anyone else know about this?

I have my two subs in test boxes, one is vented, the other sealed. The difference is hard to pick. For all the negative talk you hear of vented boxes, they are VERY similar!

What is it you are trying to achieve with adding sealed boxes?

well it IS the same driver, but the frequency response will be entireles different on both of them, which might result in cancellation?

Cancellation will only occur when the polarity is reversed. Adding another two subs of equal power will add 6db of output. This effect will not extend as low if the new subs are sealed.

The word "basement" to me spells acoustic disaster! Normally the construction is so robust that there is a massive amount of stored energy right down to the bass. If this is a listening space where a basic level of accuracy is desired, I'd first consider acoustic treatment.

If your basement is anything like most - brick walls and concrete floor - then any possible "problems" with the subs themselves will be trivial in comparison to the room itself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.