What would be considered Jaw droping? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2004, 04:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What would be considered Jaw droping?

In terms of output, what is considered above average, to the average person that is?

Would a Maelstrom in a 22" sealed cube with a 1000 watt PE subwoofer amp do the trick? This could be built for about $800 it seems.

Or would it take a Tumult in an Adire reference design to do the trick?
Old 16th December 2004, 05:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

IMO an undistorted output of 120dB at 20Hz

and it can be done cheaply and easily-you can have world class quantity and quality-but you have to be willing to cut a hole in your house somewhere...

I don't know why IB subwoofers are rarely mentioned at this forum-everybody seems to be obsessed with smaller,more complex and lower performance designs -maybe they're just doing it for fun and aren't as worried about the outcome but I prefer to get the most for my money that I can
Old 16th December 2004, 05:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am willing to listen, please outline such an IB setup.
Old 16th December 2004, 07:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here's a brief overhead view of an installation I did in the mid 70's.

This is an infinite baffle because the unusual wall keeps the rear wave of the woofers from the listening room.

The woofers are mounted in the wall just behind the mid/hf units (blue boxes). There was one 12" woofer per side. X represents the listener.

Although originally not used in this installation because we didn't know much about standing waves at the time, "trap" represents tightly compressed fiberglass which will get rid of the axial standing waves along the length of the room.

Probably not applicable to your situation but this gives you the general idea of an infinite baffle installation. When the volume behind the woofers is many times Vas, you have an infinite baffle. The garage could be replaced by an attic, crawlspace or large closet.

4 12" woofers per side would be jaw dropping. Of course it needs to be bi-amped. You need to select woofers with a Qt between .5 and .7
Attached Images
File Type: gif ibidea.gif (2.6 KB, 942 views)
Old 16th December 2004, 09:43 PM   #5
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

Cult of the Infinately Baffled

This Site will give you a good grounding on IB subwoffers.

Very cool.

Doug
Old 17th December 2004, 12:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

From the messages on the "Cult of the Infinitely Baffled" is seems this is setup is superior to conventional Subs if you have the necessary space, ie basement or suitable attic?

Considering I am looking to WOW my friends and "feel" movies like Terminator, is an IB arrangement practical compared to a Maelstrom setup for around $1000? My house has a suitable basement and attic and I am not afraid to cut holes in either! My living room is approximately 20x16.

Thanks for the links and quality information.
Old 17th December 2004, 12:33 AM   #7
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you want to use the Maelstrom, why a 22" cube? Use it in a IB setup or a very huge vented box since you have the space for it.
Old 17th December 2004, 01:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The dayton IB drivers work great
Old 17th December 2004, 02:01 AM   #9
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't know why IB subwoofers are rarely mentioned at this forum
Probably because to get similar SPLs at very low frequencies, you need to spend a lot more on woofers and generally need to EQ sub for extension. This adds complexity and cost to what is probably the simplest DIY speaker to make (and as such, the one that likely attracts the most newbies who would be turned off by the added cost/complexity).
Old 17th December 2004, 02:29 AM   #10
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Low WAF

Hide this!Advertise here!