Advantages of stereo sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually, I think we did take that into account if you've read the previous posts.

Leadbelly is talking about distortion products which will be above the passpand of the sub. Variac mentioned this but much of what has been discussed as reasons why subs can't be localised has ommited to mention this factor, which may in fact undo all attempts to get it right.

The argument used is that bass can't be localised and subs don't need "time alignment." However, it may be that phase and time alignement correction digitally will in fact prevent out of band distortion from the driver from messing things up.

200hz is aweful high, I'd say you might be wrong there.

Paul, perhaps the music you listen to has some funky balance on the vocals, but of what I've heard only a very few tracks have the main vocals in stereo. There are programs available for free from sites such as download.com that use that fact to "erase" vocals from the music. If you simply invert the polarity on one channel, then add it to the other, you will get only the signal that is not shared by both. Everything that is the exact same on both channels will be canceled out due to the signals being of opposite polarity(just like when you wire up DVC subs wrong and they dont play anything). If you have a DVC speaker you can experience this easily by wiring up one coil to the left and one to the right out of phase. On most recordings, the bass wont exist and the vocals will be barely audible. There is a phaseyness to the sound which reminds me of being underwater or something.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.