small efficient dance music sub - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2004, 01:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default small efficient dance music sub

I like listening to dance music and want a sub for this purpose. I want the sound like that in a club, such as seen in a recent post. If the PA speaker in a small box is a good choice, please tell me the best cabinent design that is small and efficent. I am willing to sacrafice on size and efficience some, but it cant be huge. Thanks
Old 3rd December 2004, 01:50 AM   #2
cjd is offline cjd  United States
diyAudio Member

What do you consider small, and what do you consider efficient? The two are almost completely opposite possibilities with respect to subs.

Also, how low does it need to go?

I am building a "small" sub for my dad at the moment - an Adire Tumult in a 90L box. But it should be pretty much flat to 15Hz in-room when it's done. And it should be capable of near 120dB output levels without exceeding excursion limits.

C
Old 3rd December 2004, 04:17 AM   #3
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Which club? The neighbourhood disco, M.o.S., or Dillinja's Valve Soundsystem?

If you use a pro woofer, you'll have to put it in a pro sized cabinet for it to work correctly. 7 to 9 cubic feet for a typical 18" in a ported cabinet with an F3 someplace below 40 Hz, around 97 dB efficient. A pair of these are adequate for home use, although my next door neighbour had a different opinion.

How about an Adire Tempest 15" using the horn plans at Adire's website? That's efficient, not too large, and goes quite low. And if you don't like it, that driver will work well in various sizes of ported and sealed boxes.

You'll also need a decent amp, around 200 to 500 watts per sub. Used amps will be the best value.
Old 3rd December 2004, 05:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks for all of the info, i like the adire idea, ya ime not too worried about sound as long as its not gigantic, i was just looking for the punchy bass that you find in a all night dance club or rave, it is really quite opposite of what most hifi audiophiles are looking for, but the music i listen to is tailored to the club systems.
Old 3rd December 2004, 07:41 AM   #5
RHosch is offline RHosch  United States
diyAudio Member

For the best compromise, I'd probably look at a modern long-throw 15" driver in a smallish box with Qtc between 1.0 and 1.5, with adequate amplifier power (around 500W is a good starting point, and you may need more or less depending on the final driver and box design chosen).
Old 3rd December 2004, 09:08 AM   #6
mike.e is offline mike.e  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike.e Send a message via MSN to mike.e
RHosch : That is probably the simplest,and most intuitive option.

You could achieve a similar thing with a boomy ported system,alot of 60hz etc. People are so used to horrible systems,you can assault them with really non hifi sound

(Some in UKraves dont like the labhorn sound-doesnt give them the bassbin distortion)
Old 3rd December 2004, 01:14 PM   #7
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

How big is the room and what's your budget? What kind of SPL do you want? What are your main speakers?

The others seem to be on the right track to achieving what you want, but it's a fairly pricey route. IMO a PA woofer in a small box is not what you want as it will not go deep enough.
Old 3rd December 2004, 02:14 PM   #8
MPM is offline MPM  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you considered some of these designs by

www.billfitzmaurice.com

Read some of the reviews and check out the forum. I just bought the Tuba18 plans for my Christmas project. If you decide to try one of the plans make sure you can get the correct driver.
Old 3rd December 2004, 07:58 PM   #9
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

I would use the Tempest Horn design, plenty of output in the 30 Hz - 200 Hz region.

But then, replace the Tempest with a Tumult.

Best dance sub for the money!
Old 3rd December 2004, 08:18 PM   #10
Hennie is offline Hennie  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Those club speakers are often tuned to have a bit of a resonant peak in the sub 100 Hz region. This would normally give slow sounding one note kind of bass. They get around this problem by using a driver with high 3rd order harmonic distortion at the required operating level - this makes it sound faster and punchier. Some car subs with unpublished distortion figures also use this principle to good effect, that's why so many long throw car subs are not suitable for hi-fi. (Excluding the serious stuff like JL Audio)

It may be difficult to emulate the club effect in the home for two reasons:

- If you use a driver designed for home use it may sound too slow if tuned for some peakiness - it's 3rd order disto will be too low compared to second order.
- The peakiness will interact with home acoustics in a different way compared to a club.

I think your best bet will be a lower cost long stroke car sub tuned to produce a slight peak, with some bass traps to keep the acoustics at bay.

Hide this!Advertise here!