Xmax

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, a rough estimate of xmax is half the difference between the coil length and magnetic gap height. xmax=(coil - gap)/2 for overhung. Underhung is quite rare I think. Each manufacturer will have different ways of calculating and/or measuring xmax.
regards Andrew T.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Maximum Cone displacement very often refers to the volume of air the cone moves. It is usually written as Vd.

It is equal to Cone Area times Cone Excursion.

The difference, of course, is that if the spec means volume, the numbers will be high and be given in cu cm, cu meters or cubic inches. If they are talking about excursion, the specs will be given in mm, cm or inches.

Very often, the linear excursion is given as Xmax. The maximum excursion the cone can travel without damage is often given as Xmech.

In hi fi speakers, Xmech is often 1.5 to 2 times the Xmax. In PA speakers, Xmech is often 3 or 4 times Xmax.

Joined 2001
The linear throw of this unit is not especially long. Here are the specs:
Rated power 150 Watt
Maximum power 200 Watt
Nominal impedance 4 Ohm
Frequency response (-10 dB) fu - 4200 Hz
(fu: Lower cut-off frequency depending on cabinet) .
Mean sound pressure level 92 dB (1W/1m)
Maximum cone displacement 28 mm
Resonance frequency fs 22 Hz
Magnetic induction 1,1 Tesla
Magnetic flux 1400 µ Weber
Height of front pole-plate 8 mm
Voice coil diameter 5 cm
Height of winding 1,85 cm
Cutout diameter 28 cm
Net weight 4,5 kg
D.C. resistance Rdc 3,6 Ohm
Mechanical Q factor Qms 1,78
Electrical Q factor Qes 0,34
Total Q factor Qts 0,29
Equivalent volume Vas 310 l
Effective piston area Sd 507 cm2
Dynamically moved mass Mms 62 g
Force factor Bxl 8,4 T · m
Inductance of the voice coil L 1,1 mH

I do believe "the gap", which is given in Andrew's formula, is called the "Height of front pole-plate" here. It is 8 mm.

The length of the voice coil is 18.5 mm, (1.85 cm).

So, following Andrew's formula, the linear excursion is (18.5 - 8) / 2 = (10.5) / 2 = 5.5 mm. Which is barely normal for this size woofer.

It does seem to have an Xmech of about 3 times the linear Xmax, and a higher than normal sensitivity, (92 dB).

Hi fi woofers tend to have longer Xmax but lower sensitivity, and their Xmech is generally not more than twice their linear Xmax.

PA speakers tend to have higher sensitivities, (about 95 db), and have Xmech about 3 times the Xmax, which this is.

So this seems to be a cross between a PA driver and a HiFi driver. I am guessing it's primary purpose would be for a high efficiency, (for a HiFi) speaker, and not a PA speaker. But it does seem to share some qualities with a PA driver.

Joined 2001
It's kind of an odd duck.

Take a look at it's frequency response-very smooth, and with a notch filter you can have a crossover up to 3,500 Hz!

At first, I thought this high efficiency woofer might be made for tube fans, who need high efficiency to offset lower power. Adn I thought that the smooth midrange response might well be for high efficiency two way designs where a horn comes down to 1,000 Hz or even lower.

But then I see that it is 4 ohms. I think most tube fans like impedances higher than that.

Red line is 3 cu ft, ported, tuned to 30 Hz.

Blue line is 2.25 cu ft, sealed, Qts = 0.7

I think it is meant for high efficiency enclosures, where the builder is more interested in efficiency than small box size.

Attachments

• visaton 300 s4 enclosure.gif
    visaton 300 s4 enclosure.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 136
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.