Sealed or ported?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you guys had a set of line arrays that were F3 @ ~70hz in a sealed enclosure (must be due to size constraints) what kind of woofer application would you use for sub 70hz? Would you use dual stereo subs, sealed or ported? Go mono since 70hz and under is hard to localize? One good sub?
I have some Shivas laying around (as some of you probably know) and I was thinking of doing dual Shiva sealed subs, but am concerned they won’t extend low enough. I do 80% music listening so these will be used mainly for that application. I do listen to a lot of rock/metal music so I doubt I’ll really hear anything under 30hz in those songs. I was thinking I could also run a separate ported sub tuned to ~18hz only when watching movies.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I think you'd best send an email to adire, and ask them. i don't know how many of those fine shiva's you got lyin round, but with a few of them and perhaps a good quality equalizer you could get enough useable output round 20 hertz. I'm sure the people at adire will kindly help you. customer support is great!
I think about 4 shiva's in total will make your walls move!

Just did a test with 2 Shivas in a 2.75 cubic foot (78 liter) sealed box, made out of 3/4" MDF with no bracing hooked to a 250w plate amp. The output was AWESOME! Sound quality was good, but not great. When bass was playing that was pretty low it sounded like a little bit of higher bass was coming thru. I'm sure this is due to my crappy Panasonic XR25 receiver that only has a 100hz. crossover for its lowest. My plate amp only has a 2nd order built into it and I had it all the way down at 40hz. Higher mid-bass still got through. I also had it about 3ft. away from the couch in the corner of the room (almost touching the corner) facing the opposite corner. Q=0.81 with this application; not ideal but all I had to work with considering the box was already made.

So, you think if I step to Q down to 0.0707 to maybe 0.6ish I'll get better results? Note, I only tested LOTR The Fellowship of the Ring with this setup. It's 10pm here and the old lady was getting mad :D

Thanks!

So, you think if I step to Q down to 0.0707 to maybe 0.6ish I'll get better results?

Yes. I also think a properly braced box will help a fair bit. I cross over at 50hz 3rd order hi/lowpass, and it works well, noticeably better than 80hz. Are you using the LFE out on the reciever, or are you routing all bass to the front speakers and then using the high/lowpass on the subamp to divide the frequencies? I do the latter (line level), but in that case you need a seperate amp for the mains.

2 sealed "direct field" shivas and 4 vented LFE shivas

The sealed subs either side of your listening position (<1m away) will have smoother in room response and be good for music.

The vented subs for LFE use. Put them in stereo pairs mounted push pull in a small box which is attached to sonotubes. Put them in the corners and make them big EBS subs. Consider a sonotube inside a sonotube as done by Adire in their Sadhara sub. I understand this provides a very big vented area while also making it stiffer via the bracing to hold them together.

You might put a first order lowpass on the LFE subs so the midbass comes from the sealed subs and a rumble filter on the sealed subs. You might also use the LFE bass management to give them both the 80 Hz crossover point.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.