Has anyone used the Tang Band 6.5" sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do a search on the Parts Express Tech Talk forum. There is a good amount of info on that driver. 600 in should get you into the mid 30s. The hardest part of the design is dealing with the port length in such a small box. Slot port could be the way to go.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
BassAwdyO said:
I'd call it a woofer or mid-woofer.

Bless you BassAwdyO. I'm almosy scared to call it just a woofer these days, what with all of this "sub" talk going on.
With an FR only to 800Hz and a Fs of 35 Hz, I think it's safe to call it a woofer.

DC Dave said:
The hardest part of the design is dealing with the port length in such a small box. Slot port could be the way to go.

I am going to try it sealed in the little pyramid enclosures first before I decide if it needs porting. I have an idea about creating a mini scoop at the bottom.

Cal

So they did arrive on Friday.
I got them assembled and listened to them for about 1/2 hour before it was bedtime. They turned out different than I thought 'cause the amp and driver didn't fit like I wanted, so I turned the cabinet on it's side to mount the stuff and added some triangles at the bottom.

They sound OK. They need work. There is no shortage of bass. They farted a little. Here's a link to the event.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45268&pagenumber=3

Cal

I am using the 6 1/2" to build 2 ported "subs" that are 24"hx12wx9"d.

The idea is to use them as the back 2 legs of a computer desk. The "main" speakers are sealed 3" TB W3871S on either side of the desk.

One of the motives was to save space in a space constrained room and go with 2 so that the stereo imaging would be maintained.

The full plan is to go to 3 speakers so that via a couple of switches you can use one of the desk speakers and one on the other side of the room for TV viewing. We will put a 3rd sub there so we essentially have 3 "2 way" speakers we can use. Should help the imaging since I crossed them at 150Hz to be able to get elevated volume out of the W3871S.

Hopefully I can close up the "subs" and try then out in a week or so and see how the experiment turns out.

Another use for 6 1/2s is in a 8" high box wide enought to support a TV. I have done this with a pair of Dayton 6 1/2s and it was quite a good addition. We never ask for so much base from it that it is a vibration problem and flanked by a pair of TB W3871S it is wuite an improvent in that room.

A third idea was to build a pair of boxes for the 6 1/2" "subwoofers" large enough to use as a stands for the 3" "mains" that would go on each side of the desktop. The sub box would be about 10" tall above the desktop in that senario to put the 3" sealed mains at earlevel.

I would then fit the rest of the box and the port tube down and through the desktop. This would produce a "2-way" that would have pretty deep base for music but not take up to much desk space. This was my personal favorite design idea since we were making the desktop anyway.

Alas my son did not go for it as he wanted all the desk space he can get. So the 3" mains are being mounted on wall brackets at ear level and I went with the "back leg" subwoofer idea.

The customer is always right........

Just FYI for this woofer PE recommends either a 0.15 cu. ft. sealed box (with an F3 of 70 Hz :D) or a 0.35 vented (F3 of 43 Hz). I've been eyeing that 6-1/2" since it came out, and I too want to pair it with that 70W plate amp from PE. I wonder what driver would be suitable for the 25W version??? ;)

Please keep us posted. :)

OK, here is the back

Attachments

• finished back.jpg
    finished back.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 484
Bam,

The reason I can't tell you at this point is that the Foster 8 ohm midrange is temporary. The actual unit will look much the same but will be a Coral 16 ohm. Hence the XO points aren't right and I can't really tell you how they sound until they arrive. planet10 dave is looking after them for me.

I can tell you the bass is just fine. Deep and plenty of it. :D

Cal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.