Tumult Horn or TL?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Currently I have my adire Tumult rocking in a bass reflex enclosure, but I've gotten bored and have decided to do an entirely new project. I am considering either a TL or horn loaded enclosure for my new project.

Project Goals:
Flat response to 10hz in room at the highest SPL possible.

With that in mind I am strapped on the decision between a transmission line and a horn loaded enclosure. From my understanding the horn should give me higher SPL and if designed properly, lower frequency response. I also had an idea for a horn which I havent yet seen on the internet. Give some ideas/reasons to go with one enclosure or the other. Size is really not a factor, though I'd like to stay under 4 4'x8' sheets of MDF due to weight issues and material cost. My horn idea is shown in the attached picture below. Could these loadings give me even lower frequency extension with proper tuning? I know impulse response would be comprimised, but I'm willing to do that.

Attachments

• horn loadings.jpg
    horn loadings.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 484
6cubic feet tuned to 10hz gives me a very shallow rolloff of 6db/octave anechoic. 10hz is -12db. How would a big horn compare to that? How would the horn's acoustic load "swamp" out the tuning frequency. I'm talking flat to 10hz in room, not anechoic. Typical horns use a horn loaded sealed enclosure, my design would use a horn loaded bass reflex enclosure. I dont see how the tuning frequency of the box would be changed as the port length area and box volume are not effected by horn loading. I think the horn would just provide higher dampening?

I dont see how the tuning frequency of the box would be changed as the port length area and box volume are not effected by horn loadingQUOTE]

But they are, and radically so. For one thing a horn with enough acoustic impedance to give even a 40Hz fc can lower the effective fs by 1/2, so if you start with a driver fs of 20 Hz it can well be lowered to 10Hz when mated to a horn. If the system f is allowed to remain that low compared to the horn fc the horn will not work properly. This phenomenon is usually addressed by using a sealed rear chamber, which if made small enough can raise the system f back to where it will function properly. You can successfully horn load a reflex box as you depict it with a horn with an Fc as low as 80 Hz or so; I first did so in 1997 with my Snail; James Novak first did it in 1953, and someone probably did so before him. But to my knowledge no one has successfully done so with a horn that operates to the low bass, myself included.

No. If I did I would have already done so. When I prototyped my Tuba 24 I tried it, since it does work in my DR horns (that go to 80Hz fc). It took me a while to figure out why it didn't work. Even with my DRs I found that with an fc below 100 Hz you can't put the vent at the horn throat, as the mass of the air column in the horn dominates the system, and the vents have to exit into the horn at least 1/2 way down the pathway. With a large bass horn the air column mass is so great that using a vent to tune the system lower than a sealed rear chamber is counter-productive; if anything raising the system resonance is required.

Good idea Simon, but who knows what effect that may have on the horn's response, except maybe Bill... Have you tried this before Bill? I do see how the horn could add apparent length onto the port. I suppose there arent a whole lot of standard equations and/or modeling software for such a situation to play around with. So basically if I did have a port exit into the compression chamber or throat it would effectively lower the tuning frequency by some unknown amount? If the horn were loaded with a reflex port that exited outside the horn and not into the horn I'd imagine the port tuning wouldnt be effected, but since the horn changes the response of the cone of the driver it would also change the output of the port.

You can exit the port outside the horn but if the horn is making the driver run at 1/2 its normal fs anyway then the port is moot. A ported rear chamber is fine on a short horn to extend bass response below fc, as in an A7 for instance, or one of my DRs, but when the horn is sufficiently large, as is the case in any true bass horn, the system f is too low for the port to be of benefit and a sealed rear chamber is the better way to go.

To see how it models imagine your rear chamber is 2 cuft, and the horn loading has lowered the system f to 10 Hz. Now try modeling your driver in a 2 cu ft enclosure tuned to 10 Hz and then try to figure out where to put all that duct length.

Umm.... I did say size was no problem here really, just wanted to keep the cost of the materials under about 100 dollars and for $20/ sheet of MDF and liquid nails + screws I'm looking at about 4 4x8 sheets of MDF to work with and pleanty of screws and liquid nails to hold it together. WinISD shows that a Tumult would require a 17' port 4"x4" to achieve 10hz tuning in a 2cubic foot enclosure.... That is getting excessively long, but can be done and if it is folded at unequal lengths resonances in the port shouldnt be a large problem. Cant I use a larger rear chamber than 2 cubic feet? At 6 cubic feet my 10hz port is only 9 feet, still long, but reasonable. The port has 4 folds. What sort of response would I get with a sealed horn configuration at 10hz in room. If It isnt better than my ported box then perhaps I shouldnt even change the setup. Would a TL get me down there?

I was being facetious. You don't want to tune to 10Hz. How big is your room? Cabin gain at 12dB/octave starts where the longest dimension is 1/2 wavelength; with a 24 foot long room that's 24Hz, so there's no point in having the fc or the fb any lower than that, and higher still is called for with a smaller room. Then there's the matter of content; power requirements below 35 Hz drop precipitiously, so between room lift and the diminishing demands of the program content that makes a 35 Hz horn adequate for all but the largest of spaces.

Currently I have the sub in my living room for HT use, but I plan to move it to the basement of my shed. The basement is currently a 24'x24' room with concrete walls on 3 sides plus a full concrete floor and ceiling. I plan on building a wall however to seperate the room into 2 parts and make one a recording studio, but that may be months down the road and I have no detailed plans. I kinda had the crazy idea to get the maximum possible SPL @ 10hz in room. Flat to 10hz would be nice, +db @ 10hz would be nicer!

You seems to be a candidate for the new motor from Adire Audio, the Parthenon with a Fs of 7 Hz.

With your current Tumult, I think you can do great things, but you would require a really big and long horn to achieve 10 Hz, maybe better look into another solution? Even if I like horns!

I'd have the parthenon, beleieve me, but the funds are a little short. Currently I have my Tumult in 6cubic feet tuned to 10hz and trust me there is LOTS of output down there. (the windows visibly flex, everything rattles, the lights flicker, curtians blow in the "wind") But I just felt like perhaps more output could be achieved. A horn or TL seemed like a good place to go, as the horn is known for its high efficiency and the TL is known for its extension down low among other things. Honestly I've never built a TL period, and I've only constructed one horn, which I modeled after another design. I suppose the idea of amazing SPLs at infrasonic frequencys is something practical only for the car audio enthusiast. I wonder if the adire parthenon can be mounted in any sort of baffle/enclousre. I know what they show on their site is only the driver itself and the only suspension is spiderlike. But I'd imagine they have some sort of surround developed for use in baffles. Anyhow, I'm thinking I may just construct a standard horn. I think 30-35hz would probably adequate as bill said, but I'm going to aim for 25 or lower. I've heard Hornresp is a quite usefull so I'll give that a whirl. If anyone else has something on their mind feel free to chime in

Well, I just downloaded HornResp and to say the least, I'm not lovin it. Not quite as user friendly as say WinISD. Basically I have no idea what I'm doing here. The program seems pretty guess and check, but I have no idea where to begin. Also all these new parameters I must enter are getting confusing. What is CIR? "Exponential or hyperbolic-exponential horn mouth circumference in flare cutoff frequency wavelengths"

I really need some pointers on this, anyone help

go to the menu and say HYPEX

Put your mouse over an unknown box,it tells u down the bottom
Make compression ratio no more than 2.5:1 and probably the cone WONT break.

Make mouth something you can fit,even if rectangular in shape.

The loading conditions will make a large effect,have you got a corner free?
a 24hz horn is possible if you can fit a LABHORN sized enclosure with a 1metre mouth extension that extends up the wall to the ceiling. The output at 10hz wont really be much more than a sealed box because the horns only long enough for ~28hz.

http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=basshorn

www.volvotreter.de 'downloads' dinsdale horn design

CIR should be >1 ,but it probably is less than this.

Example

Attachments

• 1ex.gif
    1ex.gif
    3 KB · Views: 146
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.