low bass in small box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They claim 59mm p-p excursion. I'm not sure if that is xmax or xsus, but it's a lot for a 10" driver!

They use passive radiators which allow the smallest box with 20 Hz extension.

The distortion is probably quite high.

If you want to do better for less money and don't expect it to be quite so small:

* get a high excursion driver like the Stryke/AE AV12
* get a pair of 15" passives
* put it in a reasonably sized box
* 500w plate amp
* BFD for eq

When you realise the price you pay when you make it very small, you will probably want to make it bigger.

shaunly said:
I have 1.25cuft to work with. Which sub would be the best for the space I have. I'm just trying to get it under 30hz.

A Peerless XLS with a passive radiator a small box will get down. I have a 10" version that measures flat deep into the 20's in my office. Search for XLS and you will find a ton of hits. There's a new version called XXLS too.

The 12" needs a box that's about 1.25 ft^3 (35 liter). The 10" can go in a box as small as 20 liters nominal. When ordering the passives, be aware of how much moving mass they have; There are two versions of each PR. Of course, if you get the lighter one, you can add mass by attaching washers or whatever.

http://www.d-s-t.com/main/tech/appxls2.htm
http://www.d-s-t.com/main/tech/appxls12b.htm

paulspencer said:
Sounds like a job for a 12" with a pair of passives. XLS or AV12 are both good candidates which work well in small boxes. The latter with more excursion (double) will have more output, probably as much as two XLS subs.

those are both very nice drivers, but im on a tight budget, so I can't really get those. Probably later on when I start building more speakers and have more experience, but more now, it's got to be something cheap :D

What is your budget?

Forget passive radiators then. Either go with a small sealed box with a Linkwitz transform or a larger vented box.

The AV12 is on pre-order at the moment for $140 USD. That will match an XLS passive radiator sub in output but with a sealed box. It is also cheaper at the moment than just the XLS on its own.

The Shiva isn't much cheaper. If $140 is too much then I'd say start hunting around for some special deals. You might find some on clearance.

You could also look at Dayton DVC for $105 or Quattro for $75 at Parts Express

This is going to be my first time building a home sub, so I dont want to spend a lot of money. Once I get more experience I'm going to get better equipment and built better subs. I already bought those Dayton and an Audiosource amp. I've read from a guy that it is rated 50W @ 8ohms, I'm going to be running @ 4ohms, hopefully Ill be gettin a little more power. So basically I just need to figure out what's the best enclosure to go with.

amp: http://www.newark.com/product-details/text/mcm/html/58-9681.html

paulspencer said:
Now it's time to plug in some numbers into Win ISD (pro is best). You probably have 80-100w into 4 ohms. You might consider making it a vented sub and see how small you can make it, since you don't have a lot of power on tap. If you have a go and post some sim results we can give feedback ;)

this is what I got. It is in a 1.3 cu.ft tune to 30hz

Attachments

• graph 01.jpg
    graph 01.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 609
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.