Dipolar sub laying down?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
....just wondering, on a H or W frame is it acceptable to lay the cabinet on its side so it is wider then tall? Im thinking of doing a 2x2 woofer per side W frame (or H) but the total height cannot exceed 24 or so feet because I have a frontal projector screen above, but it can be as wide as it wants.

Also, despite all my readings of the various dipole sub threads, I'm still uncertain how far into the room the sub has to be,, or at the very least how far from the rear wall does it need to be?

Also In my room, I must place the woofers between the speakers. I can get away with one stack directly next to the main speakers on the inside. I'm guessing this will still produce a pretty good result?

Horizontal orientation should be no problem...you might even use the full 24" height to increase driver front-back distance.

Placement will be very room and seating dependent...maybe well out into the room. You might toss together some quick "test baffles" to make sure you have a good location available. If you don't have a good location for dipoles, consider building a "stage" for your theater that is also a very large sealed box. I've also seen the stage built as an IB plenum, opening through the drywall to the next room.

IB subs

I'd really like to try the dipolar sub but I'm afraid I just dont have the room. Even at 2 feet out (2/3 meter) from the wall this room has a swinging door to the front right and an open door to the front left, so I cant have a box that has to sit with its front nose 6 feet (2 meters) into the room. :(

We'll see though, I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.