Logos or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lets get some opinions here, Logos or not? I want reasons too!

I personally prefer a small logo to appear somewhere on a transducer. For a sub, I like a white logo on a black dustcap. This creates a cool 3-d effect when the sub is poudning away. For mids, a dustcap logo is also acceptable, but something on the mounting flange is nice too. For tweeters, mounting flange only. I have no problem with logos unless they are tasteless and unartistic. How many companies build speakers (fully made not DIY) without logos on them? I would guess below 10%. Car, home or PA. Many times those speakers dont have a logo on every dustcap, as many of them have grille covers and such to protect the drivers, but somewhere on the speaker is a logo. I am very sure the logo has a psychological effect on most people.

Actually...

Very few speakers sold at retail have logos on the drivers. Hardly any have them on dust caps. The ones that have any logos at all on the drivers typically have them cast/stamped into the woofer and/or tweeter mounting flange, or sometimes on the surround of the woofer. But it's more common to only see a logo or badge on the front of the grill.

An exception to the no logo on dust caps would be the M & K line of subwoofers.

As for my personal taste, I prefer no logos, since they are my speakers, not made by the manufacturer of the woofer or tweeter. If I want a logo, I'll make my own. I also don't like to pay extra for useless features.

So I guess you could say that the logo does have a psychological effect on me. It says to me that the company that sold the driver doesn't think it's enough for you to simply buy the drivers, they want you to advertise their brand until the driver dies. I have no problem with logos per se, but they should be optional, such as a sticker you can add to the dust cap if you want. Some manufacturers even supply grill badges separately with their speakers so that you can apply them or not, as you wish.

Aaron Gilbert

I don't like logos, especially not on subs. My subs are AV12's with a brushed aluminium cone and inverted dustcap - visually impressive and stylish. A logo would look tacky.

I plan to put mine in a curvy piano gloss black box and to have a certain look of luxury and style. Somehow a logo would make it look a little cheap.

Also as a diyer, I want to give it my own identity, not the identity of the driver. I'm thinking of my own logo on the sub box, but small and discrete. I want to look and feel of a luxury car. What would it be like if you had a BMW with the BMW logo and a different logo on the wheels, a different logo on the headlights, a different logo on the mirrors and windows ........

Still, I can see the appeal of a logo with contrast so you can visually see how far it's moving. The big kid in a lot of us likes to see how far the cone is moving!!!

I have noticed - this is probably not good enough to make a rule, but anyway - expensive cars don't have their names written in letters (unless it's part of the logo) like the cheaper ones. Mercedes is expected to be known for the tri-star logo whilst Toy-ota have to write the name in order for people to recognize them from other jap cars. :smash:

I like my diy projects without any logos/names on them too. They should be recognized for the final build quality, not the quality of single parts used.

Imagine a 'National Semiconductor inside' or 'Powered by ELCO' sticker on your latest gainclone design. :whazzat:

I can understand the idea that some people dont like attention being detracted from the enclosure they built and it's features, but a plain speaker driver in an extrodinary enclosure is only mediocre. I like the look of the seas excel speaker, the way the pointy gold dome rises from the cone it has an artistic signiture. It is easliy recognized by DIYers because of this. Some speakers are designed with that artistic beauty, but plain black cones with black dustcaps and black surrounds gets boring. The average listener will percieve better sound quality from a speaker if it is larger and has gloss finish and looks more expensive. This is how the human brain works. There is no difference in the sound, but the speaker becomes more awe inspiring with size and beauty. A logo should not be tasteless and dull, it should add to the asthetic quality of the product.

BassAwdyO said:
Lets get some opinions here, Logos or not? I want reasons too!

Reason? I don't like logos ;) Great thing about diy is that you can build with & I can build without.

I understand the idea of the speakers being "decorative", tho. My current are Jordan Jx92s in a TL, and the metal cones look nice... add greatly to the SAF.

BTW, BassAwdyO, no offense taken or intended with the previous thread on this, I'm just a little mischevious. I'm planning to build dual W-baffle subs with the Adire Shiva - it should give me bass with (cheese)balls! :D

cheesehead

Cheesehead, well I guess you could say a big logo could easily make a sub look "cheesy." :D

Have you looked at Linkwitz study of the Shiva in dipole use? He found it a pretty ordainary performer in dipole due to turbulence. Both the DPL and the XLS are better (and the new XXLS looks even better with higher Qts). Given this is off topic, I don't want to get into a discussion on this thread, just pointing it out as something you might want to look into. If you can't find it, I can dig up the link to it on Linkwitz site. ;)

paulspencer said:
Have you looked at Linkwitz study of the Shiva in dipole use? He found it a pretty ordainary performer in dipole due to turbulence.

Ya, thanks, I was just looking at SL's site... :xeye: and actually have SL's spreadsheet up on my computer modeling four other drivers at this moment. I'll likely be posting some questions on a new thread once I feel more competent to ask them!

I have noticed - this is probably not good enough to make a rule, but anyway - expensive cars don't have their names written in letters (unless it's part of the logo) like the cheaper ones. Mercedes is expected to be known for the tri-star logo whilst Toy-ota have to write the name in order for people to recognize them from other jap cars.

I guess it's this kind of thinking/logic is why Toyota had to start a subsidiary called Lexus to sell luxury cars. Likewise Mazda with Eunos.

Complete with model numbers using letters followed by a few numbers. Let's not forget though that because they're expensive (eg. Mercedes or BMW), doesn't necessiarly mean they're any good or better.

We've had a Toyoyta with more than 300,000 miles on the clock and still going strong. If their 4 wheel drives are the most popular in the Australian outback they may be something there too...

Now I'm not a car reviewer or journalist but in terms of "Sheer Driving Pleasure" I've found the 3 series BMWs (except M3) very ordinary. A mid-size Holden (GM) Vectra costs half as much, has a more capable engine and simply handles better. But you miss out on the cow skin seats and timber trimmings on the dash.

PS.
M&K's "Discover Deep Bass" drivers uses stamped frame woofers of lesser build quality and likely higher distortion than your typical logo-less XLS, TC2+.

can you choose?

Hi All,

Presumably one should choose a driver on its sonic merits, rather than the 'paint job'...This thread, concenptually, is only a meaningful if each halfway decent driver is available with and without bling.

Do any vendors, apart from Adire, offer drivers with and without dustcap logos?

Is it safe to 'paint' a logo onto the dustcap?

Stuart

You may well laugh, but years ago I had a pair of Goodmans Planax 3s (the odd dipole things with huge polystyrene diaphragms). They each had a badge about 1cm square glued to the grille. When I removed these, the difference was very clearly audible (as it was when I refixed them for comparison).
I'm pretty sceptical about 'snake oil' tweaks, but this was glaringly obvious.
Perhaps the logo does make a difference!:D

dnsey said:
You may well laugh, but years ago I had a pair of Goodmans Planax 3s (the odd dipole things with huge polystyrene diaphragms). They each had a badge about 1cm square glued to the grille. When I removed these, the difference was very clearly audible (as it was when I refixed them for comparison).
I'm pretty sceptical about 'snake oil' tweaks, but this was glaringly obvious.
Perhaps the logo does make a difference!:D

Wow! We're talking real mass once you get into adhesive badges (bandages?). It's a good thing MTX and and Pyle use milligrams of ink or it might make for some non-audiophile sounding drivers.

:)ensen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.