Tube to cabinet move - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2004, 06:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tube to cabinet move

I'm thinking of migrating my Peerless 10" XLS woofer and plate amp currently in a Formatube (sonatube) ported "box" into a nicely veneered standard MDF cabinet. Volume about 59 litres with single port tuned to 28 Hz

Heres the plots from WinISD, obviously the 28 Hx is offset because it's a higher feq than current. Can anyone cast futher wisdom/meaning on these plots as I'm afraid my knowledge in reading them is Zero.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subchart.jpg (44.9 KB, 159 views)
Old 10th November 2004, 02:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
Basically, if you keep the same enclosure volume and tuning the sub should sound the same in either enclosure. That is assuming that both enclosures are built with the same quality of construction. Looking at the plots, the higher they go on the y axis, the higher the SPL. The farther left they go on the X axis, the lower in frequency, the farther right, the higher the frequency. WinISD gives anechoic FR response. This means that it is a predicted response of the speaker in a completely non reflective sound environment. An example of this would be, if outer space were air, then the sub would be positioned in the middle of nowhere in outer space such that the sound would only travel away from the speaker and never back to it from reflection. In room response gives a boost of low frequencys due to there being reflections. Car cabin gain is an even higher boost. I'm assuming your using the sub for home audio correct? Looking at the response curves on WinISD I'd say your box is too big for the sub. I'm using the pre-entered WinISD specs for the sub, but an EBS alignment uses 23.9L@ 31.7hz for -3db shelf and 35.24L@ 22.3hz for the -6db shelf. I'd go with one of those two alignments. The 59L @ 28hz will give you a rather large dip at 45hz and a peak at 28hz. That might be rather boomy
Old 10th November 2004, 04:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BassAwdyO
Basically, if you keep the same enclosure volume and tuning the sub should sound the same in either enclosure. That is assuming that both enclosures are built with the same quality of construction. Looking at the plots, the higher they go on the y axis,....................or the sub. I'm using the pre-entered WinISD specs for the sub, but an EBS alignment uses 23.9L@ 31.7hz for -3db shelf and 35.24L@ 22.3hz for the -6db shelf. I'd go with one of those two alignments. The 59L @ 28hz will give you a rather large dip at 45hz and a peak at 28hz. That might be rather boomy
Thanks for the detailed response, it is very helpful. I was thinking that my Formatube sub "may" be slightly boomy, so I will digest your advise and adjust accordingly.
Old 10th November 2004, 05:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

BassAwdyO, just plugged your figures into WinISD and see what you mean.

When you talk about a "shelf" I'm assuming thats the leveling out of the curve after the main incline?

I think I'll go for the 35.24L @ 22.3Hz as this new set up is to augment my new Thor TL and so do not need vast SPL's.
Old 11th November 2004, 05:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, the EBS (extended bass shelf) alignment is defined by the leveling of the curve before the rolloff below enclosure tuning. The older versions of WinISD didnt come with standard preset alignments, but the newer versions will automatically calculate 5 popular alignments. Two of these are EBS alignments, one being a -3db shelf and the other a -6db shelf. You can achieve a shelf at any level if you change the box volume and tuning frequency to the right values. How do you wish to augment the Thor?
Old 11th November 2004, 10:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

BassAwdyO - have just downloaded the latest version of WinISD Pro and charts are much clearer.

Well, the Thor transmission line produces 4 dB of bass lift from 20Hz to 110HZ, with less than 1 dB of ripple. The -3dB point is 45Hz, with roll off of 12dB per octave below 45Hz. Usable in-room bass response extends well into the low 30Hz range (Madisounds spec).

And to be honest I could live without a sub as I’m really quite happy with low end of the TL’s But I have the Peerless XLS and plate amp so want a “discreet” sub to pick up the lower range. Which is why I thought your 35.24L @ 22.3 Hz suggestion might be best.
Old 12th November 2004, 12:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I see, It seems like that alignment would give you a bit more extension down to at least 25hz. How large is the TL?
Old 12th November 2004, 01:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I see, It seems like that alignment would give you a bit more extension down to at least 25hz. How large is the TL?
Here's the construction pics of the Seas Thor TL's

http://www.users.on.net/~byindex/ThorProject/index.htm

Original Spec etc - http://www.seas.no/thor.htm
Old 12th November 2004, 02:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Very nice... I'll say the XLS should give you a bit more thunder in the low end. Keep me posted on how the sub turns out
Old 14th November 2004, 10:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Very nice... I'll say the XLS should give you a bit more thunder in the low end. Keep me posted on how the sub turns out
I've been busy this weekend and built version No2 of my subwoofer, similar to our discussions, see pics etc at -

http://www.users.on.net/~byindex/subwoofer_no_2.htm

Thanks for the help and have quoted you with credits on the above page.

Hide this!Advertise here!