Adire Shiva 12" subwoofer project plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thanks ThomasW

My problem was with that design was primarily the crossover. Im new to speaker building and i wasnt sure if a sub woofer needed a crossover or not by that plan it mentions it but doesnt give any deatils of construction of it. Do subwoofers need a crossover?

My problem is i have no idea how to build a sub. Sure i could buy the driver and get an amp but how do i know how to wire the cross over or the proportion of the enclosure and the baffels.
I would like to work off plans of a tried and tested design built around the shiva 12" driver cause i hear its one of the best. Can anyone tell me where i could get such plans or give me some advice on where to go from here?

If you go to the adire web site http://www.adireaudio.com/

then click on diy audio then click on shivas then click on techinal

choose app notes you will see app papers on building a sealed or ported box for shivas

down load the one you want they both contain plans for building 3 different size box .

remember if you want to build a ported box you will a rumble filter

can be bought from jaycar in a kit .

if you dont want a down firing its just a matter of building it on its side

something to be aware of is that the jaycar plate amps all have a 6db boost at 35hz .

when i built mine the general opnion was that this is a bad thing & needs to be corrected by having a couple of resistors changed.

there are other places that have plate amps as well . wes components.com have them

hopefully there are other aussies here who have other ideas as to where else you can get a plate amp from as well

IMO the XLS is better value than the Shiva in Australia. Contrary to popular belief it can work quite well in a vented box and achieve SPL and extension to match the Shiva. The following plot shows the XLS (blue) vs the Shiva. The XLS has a smaller box (90L which is large for this driver) than the Shiva which is in a 130L box.

XLS you can get for $220 in Australia compared to $300 for the Shiva.

The downside is that the XLS needs more power, but this is due to the smaller box, such is the nature of tradeoffs.

Note: I realised after making this chart that the Shiva was shown without using all of its excursion. With 250 watts it has a little more output than shown ~ 2.5db more, while being about the same at 20 Hz. The XLS is using 350w in that chart.

Note 2) I don't necessarily recommond this exact size for XLS, it's just a quick indication of this driver as a viable alternative. As far as I'm aware, the XLS has lower distortion in the mid to upper bass, which is where distortion perception is apparently more acute. The XLS is also better quality construction.

Attachments

• xls vs shiva vented.gif
    xls vs shiva vented.gif
    25 KB · Views: 88
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.