Shiva in my car? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2004, 03:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Shiva in my car?

I have an Adire Shiva driver laying around not doing anything and am thinking of installing it into my car. I have an MTX 801D Class D mono amp that does 420 watts @ 4 ohms and 810 watts @ 2 ohms (very nice $500 amp) so power won't be a problem. I do a lot of rock and heavy metal listening while in my car and love TIGHT bass. I think most of the music I listen to has 40hz or above bass, but I could be wrong. Anyhow...

Which sealed enclosure would you suggest from these provided by Adire? Or are these only recommended for in-home use?

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Seal...plications.PDF

Thanks!
Old 4th November 2004, 05:20 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
The word "tight" when used to describe bass is VERY contreversial. Some use it to describe highQ systems and some use it to describe low Q systems. Because you are using the sub for car audio I would imagine you desire a smaller sized subwoofer enclosure. This elimates the prospect of a critically dampened system as you would need around 8 cubic feet of enclosure volume to achieve critical dampening. If you used a Q of .707 you would probably get the results you are looking for without taking up an incredible amount of space for your car.
This would only require 2.4 cubic feet of enclosure volume to achieve. You could go with less volume but I wouldnt go under 1ft^3.
Old 4th November 2004, 07:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Things have changed a bit with the newer Shivas..

I have one of the first Shivas ever off the production line, it's never been in my house/apartment. With a Qtc of 0.8, it only needs one cubic foot. I don't remember exactly, but I think Qtc of 0.7 was about 1.2 or 1.3 cubic feet, somewhere around there.

Anywho, this driver is definitely highly recommended for car use. You have way more power than needed, in my opinion, but better than not enough, I suppose. I used to have 300w RMS available to mine, and could just slightly overdrive the woofer. I have downgraded to 100w and it's still plenty. As for which size box to use, I personally would stay at Qtc of 0.85 or less, which would mean no smaller than the 33.3 liter box. It's really up to personal taste though. I've had systems with a Qtc of 1.1, which in theory might not sound so good, but in practice it sounded great. Not as good as Qtc of 0.7, but still quite acceptable. Depending on your car's inherent response anomalies, you may not even notice.

As for the bass being 'tight', well.... if the music calls for it and your car permits it, Shiva will deliver.

Aaron Gilbert
Old 4th November 2004, 07:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Which version of the shiva do you have? Something quite interesting, when I got my Tumult it didnt come with any sort of spec sheet or owners manual, just an invoice. I was quite dissapointed, as most subs come with a owners manual and a warranty card, if your lucky some stickers. Adire Audio seems like a very strange company if you ask me. They dont even have a dealer in my state (Illinois). They didnt put any sort of an adire logo on the Tumult, its just a plain black cone and a rubber gasket. The back is a metal basket with a shiny top plate and back plate. There are no markings beside + and - on the terminals. I think even with the products they have now they could take away some of the market that companies like JL MTX and Rockford Fosgate have. I guess there are alot of unseen issues in buisness and thats why their marketing isn't what it could be. I wonder when Adire was established....
Old 4th November 2004, 09:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Adire's primary business is OEM. Some of their consumer products are trickle down technology.

For instance, the AV3 was actually designed for use in medical equipment.
Old 8th November 2004, 07:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Most Adire drivers targeted at home use have no markings on them such as a logo because most home users dont want them. You'll notice the car drivers do have markings because that market does like to have them.
Most of the Adire manuals or tech papers are found online and not included with the driver. Also, a warranty card is not required because they have your purchase information in their system and there is no need for a warranty card.
Old 9th November 2004, 03:52 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've never seen a speaker being sold at a store that lacked a logo. I think many people like logos on their speakers, if they're satisfied with the product at least. I can understand some cheesedick speaker company not putting logos on their speakers because their speakers look similar to higher priced speakers that everyone knows and loves, so the owners just say yeah, those are the good ones, sure. But adire audio, come on, represent. Perhaps adire just never came up with a logo cool enough for the tumult. Anyhow I believe I might just make my own logo and stick it on there. Most of other manufactures specs can be found online. I understand not getting a warranty card, but an owners manual should be something you get with the product, not something you should have to look up on the internet. And another thing, adire has certian conditions that void the warranty, those conditions are typically written on either the owners manual or a warranty card that comes with the speaker. There was a certian thread, although I believe it was on another site, I remember seeing it, but it was like a feedback forum that had imput from many DIYers that kind of led to the design of the tumult. I wonder if they had any discussion of cosmetics (a logo specifically).
Old 9th November 2004, 05:23 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default I had a shiva in my car once....

so I turned the heat on full!
Old 9th November 2004, 12:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Logos

Look at Adire's site. It looks like many subs (Shiva, Brahma, Koda, Tempest) can be ordered with or without logos.

Quote:
Originally posted by BassAwdyO
cheesedick speaker company not putting logos on their speakers
With my username, I can't think of anything to say that wouldn't get me spanked by the moderators .

cheesehead
Old 9th November 2004, 03:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Sorry if I offended you cheesehead. The only speakers I saw with the option of logos are tempest and shiva. Brahma seems to have the bull no matter what, and koda has the adire logo. None of the other raw drivers come with logos. Anyway, wheres the threadstarter and how is that shiva coming along?

Hide this!Advertise here!