Woofer with high Qms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do not subscribe to that sort of conspiracy cynicism

Sorry, that's what I sound like, but I don't either. My point is, what makes driver X with basically identical specs to driver Y better?

ETA
Ok, I think I should add my reason for the question; truly I want to know because I've been searching through hundreds of drivers for various purposes, just as an intellectual exercise. You get differences like cheap manufacturing, resulting in bad build quality, etc., and you get cheap and inferior materials, and that separates good from bad, cheap from expensive, and I get that. But why is a no-name driver with good materials, good build quality, good specs (but no FR measurement) cheap and "inferior" to the expensive big-name driver that uses exactly the same materials (pressed steel, aramid fibre, ferrite magnet, etc.), and has almost identical T/S parameters?

I've bought no-name unpressed pulp cone speakers for about $9 each, and they were fantastic, but say that on these forums and you get shoved into the naughty corner. If it's not Focal or Morel or Seas, or whatever, you're doing it wrong.

I'm also asking here because Qms is a measurement of the mechanicals, and I would guess that with certain Qms, cone size and rigidity, if other specs are similar, the driver should measure similarly. What is an interesting thing I've read on this thread is that Qms is measured at resonance, which is almost useless.

The eventual idea or thing I want to know is what can be measured to give a better picture which can relate mechanical and electrical properties to FR?

Last edited:
Cone breakup and the sound of it is not present in TS parameters I believe. And if you measure two drivers, even same brand, do they have identical TS parameters? Just sayin :)

Of course one can use what ever components. You should be proud if you get good sound with 10th of a cost of comparable performance! In Hifi world though, a miniscule difference in sound may cost even hundred fold, as long as there is someone willing to pay for it. Each speaker designer and design (and forum member) have their own parameters, compromises and targets to play with while making choices on drivers. Just sayin :)

Sorry ot while drinking morning coffee.. no comment on Qms

Cone breakup and the sound of it is not present in TS parameters I believe.
I agree, but if the same materials are used and the same rigidity and Qms, cone break up should be the same, surely?

And if you measure two drivers, even same brand, do they have identical TS parameters?
That's one thing with more expensive - same drivers will measure more similarly, I guess. I hope.

In Hifi world though, a miniscule difference in sound may cost even hundred fold, as long as there is someone willing to pay for it. Each speaker designer and design (and forum member) have their own parameters, compromises and targets to play with while making choices on drivers.

But are you paying for a minuscule better difference, or is it only better because the minuscule difference is more expensive? Ok, it's cynical, but very much true. Anyway, I'd attribute that to something off topic anyway.

Maybe I'm thinking about it too much. Maybe similar build quality and materials costs a certain amount, regardless of brand, and some manufacturers just have better quality control.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.