dayton quattro 15" sub #295-560 question?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm the one with the 400w and 11Hz.

To tell you the truth, while I have no problem with the 400w and 11Hz tuning, now that I have lived with the thing for about a year and a half, the size is getting to me. I am considering standing the unit on end and/or putting the ports mostly inside the cabinet. I also still occasionally consider going to smaller stereo subwoofers at my sides, rather than the one big monster in the corner. However, that would cost a bunch of extra money since I'd need to go with smaller or much more expensive woofers. While the 15" Quatro would still do great in a relatively small sealed box, I just don't want to give up the excellent low end extension of my current setup, given that all my 'satellite' speakers are strong down into the 20's on their own.

If you don't want the below 20Hz stuff, I would certainly recommend using the smaller sized boxes and higher tuning frequencies as recommended by Parts Express. This is a very robust driver though. So, despite the fact that mine has considerably less power handling than a smaller box/higher tuning would provide, it hasn't complained. I'd say the real danger is the same as with other subwoofers - annoying your neighbors or rattling things onto the floor in the rest of the house.

Really, the only way I can recommend my configuration is if you 1. Don't mind a giant box, 2. don't mind giving up some 18-40Hz output for more 10-18Hz output. If you accept those, I can say that I can't tell the difference in sound quality (other than low end extension) between my box vented or sealed, and excursion in it's vented configuration is still lower.

Aaron Gilbert

hi Aaron, thanks for the great info. i'm new at using the WinISD PRO but i ran the parameters for the Quatro 15" for vented with 4" dual flared port with QB3 Quasi-butterworth alignment. what i came up with was, 6.710 cu ft with 20.49hz tuning did i calculate corectley? and, will this work fine with the 200 watt parts express plate amp? i live in a mobile home so i don't think i'll need a whole lot of power he he. thanks again, crippledchicken :)

Looks good to me.

crippledchicken,

Your box size and port tuning are fine, that will give you an F3 of 20Hz, excellent for a non-equalized subwoofer. Combined with room gain, you will likely actually have an elevated response in the 20-40Hz region, which most people won't object to for home theater. For music, some might prefer a flatter in-room response, but as each room is different, you have to use experimentation in your own room. If it sounds boomy or overemphasized on the bottom end, you can always tune a bit lower.

You should have no port noise problems whatsoever with dual 4" flared ports. My dual 3" are not flared at all and I have no port noise, but then again, how much information is at 11Hz? :) 200w will be plenty to get things rocking, though I think not enough to overdrive the woofer unless you feed it 10 Hz. Even then it's really tough. I was feeding mine a 5Hz sine wave tonight and it seems to move a lot farther than the 10mm Xmax would indicate, without any sign of distress. Have fun!

Oh and don't you mean 'manufactured home' ? :)

Aaron Gilbert

hi Aaron, thanks for checking my calculations as, this is the first experence i've had with WinISD pro. the rear of amp is in plastic housing which measures 10"x10"x5" which i calculated at 0.289 cu ft. which i rounded to 0.3 cu ft to add to the 6.7 cu ft for an even 7 cu ft. the bracing, i don't think will take up enough room to be of major concern but, the driver volume, i'm not sure of. i 'm mostly interested in extended enough range for decent enough HT but, tight and tuneful enough for music with decent enough spls. sort of an in between compromise. if i find the bass too boomy, can this be compensated to some degree by adjusting port lenght, and maybe light stuffing.? thanks for the great help, crippledchicken :)

Don't sweat it.

I'm not sure about the driver volume, but in a cabinet as large as yours or mine, it won't make a huge difference. You can go to Adire Audio's site and look up the volume of the Tempest, the Quatro should be similar.

The tuning/size you presented I wouldn't really consider a compromise, at least not in terms of SPL. In fact, that's about ideal to get the most SPL out of that woofer from 20Hz and up. As for tight and tuneful, well that means different things to different people. A HUGE factor in how it sounds will be the characteristics of your room, as well as placement of the unit in the room. A theoretically perfect subwoofer can sound boomy and bloated if it's in the corner of a room that presents too much gain at certain frequencies. I would consider my subwoofer more of a compromise, in that I sacrifice several dB of maximum SPL in order to achieve lower extension and better integration with the room's natural boost.

Just remember that to lower the tuning frequency, you have to make the port longer. So if you think you might be considering that, especially if you have flared ports using a non standard 4" pipe, you may want to start out with them long and see if you like it, and you can shorten them if you don't. That's a lot easier than adding on length to a port!

Aaron Gilbert

Did you ever try sealing them? Also running out of xmax down LOW(and i mean low) isnt really that important, as long as you dont run out of physical excursion. Since the ear isnt very sensitive down low you probably wont notice as much distortion. Thats my opinion anyway. Happy tinkering!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.