Can I multiply an 18" folded horn cab by 0.8 for a 15"? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2004, 03:11 AM   #1
Optical is offline Optical  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Can I multiply an 18" folded horn cab by 0.8 for a 15"?

Or could i just put a 15" speaker into the 18" design assuming it just wont go as loud?

Is that the done thing? Is it possible to get dimentions for an 18" speaker by multiplying a 15" design by 1.2 etc etc??
Old 28th October 2004, 12:13 PM   #2
Banned

If you change one thing you change everything. Just like all cabinets a folded horn is specifically designed to work with drivers that have specified T/S parameters.
Old 28th October 2004, 12:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

This is pretty much like asking if you take a Boeing 747 and multiply by 0.7 - do you get an Airbus A340? The answer is as you might guess and like Bill F said, no. There is a little bit more to it than that.
Old 29th October 2004, 04:26 AM   #4
Optical is offline Optical  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hmm, i didnt realise it was as critical for horns as it is for other cab designs..

anyway, i have built the fane 15" scoop rear loaded folded horn and swapped a bunch of different subs that i had lying around into it with some pleasing results, the horn was nicer than any other design they had been in..

well maybe i'll try scaling the box up and down anyway and see what happens
Old 29th October 2004, 12:40 PM   #5
Banned

Scoop designs are actually among the least efficient of folded horn configurations. You'd save yourself a lot of time and lumber by spending a few weeks reading about horn design and understanding what they are all about rather than blindly charging ahead. Horns are the most complicated of all cabinet designs; there are many well respected people in the business who've been building horns for 20 years who still don't have it right.
Old 30th October 2004, 01:34 AM   #6
mike.e is offline mike.e  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike.e Send a message via MSN to mike.e
Quote:
Horns are the most complicated of all cabinet designs; there are many well respected people in the business who've been building horns for 20 years who still don't have it right.
Bassma**?
Old 30th October 2004, 10:54 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Optical, most things involving intelligent design and an understanding of the relationship between a number of parameters aren't leant by trial and error! The worst thing that can happen is that you get something that sounds good. Better than that is when you get something that sounds wrong. Then you decide to learn how to actually do it right, and instead of something that sounds good, you get something that sounds extremely good

There are some good horn designs you can use with the correct driver. Have a look at Bill's site for a start.

There is also a program called hornresp that you can use to design your own. You would want to study a little as well to get to know how horns work.

Either of those would work better than the "pin the tail on the donkey" approach.
Old 31st October 2004, 04:37 AM   #8
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Check out http://www.speakerplans.com/index.html
Rog recommends specific drivers for the horn bins and provides frequency response graphs. Read the FAQs as well; he explains why scoop bins are nasty, and how T/S parameters relate to horns.

Hide this!Advertise here!