Help with HiVi subwoofer needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks

I'm a cabinet builder so please excuse my ignorance on this matter. I'm in the process of building a HT system comprised of a kit from Stryke Audio consisting of five S1-MTM's and I'd like to build a matching subwoofer. I've been looking at the HiVi D10G driver for this application. I would like to use twin driver in this sub. I would like to know what you guys think of this driver. Am I way off base? I will confess that i am making the driver decision partly on the aesthetic of the yellow kevlar. Manufacturer specs this driver at Fs 25Hz.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Link to driver:

HiVi D10g driver specs

Link to the cab I'm building to house the drivers:

Sub enclosure

Thanks for any input
Christof

Hi Christof,im the opposite- I get a joiner to cut the wood for my sub projects ;-)

For those of us on 56k- perhaps you could list basic driver parameters (fs,Qts,Vas,xmax,pe)-as it takes a long time to download pdf files near 1mb in size.

3cubic ft per driver?
Id go for 130litres and 23hz tune.The drivers have high Qts for ported-id only use them for HT when a boomy nature isnt so worrying.

a 3cubic ft box per driver of ported type has a few db over 90litre sealed.

Note that power input isnt able to be high due to limited driver displacement.

For HT lows large displacement drivers are required.

Cheers!

This driver is a woofer, not really a subwoofer. For LFE use it will be a bit disapointing. It is 10" and has a low xmax (8mm). This driver is more suited to use as a woofer in a 3 way tower with one per side with a bit more extension and output than a typical midbass driver for music. The Shiva is a good benchmark in terms of output capability for a HT sub ie a 12" driver with ~15mm xmax.

I understand where you are coming from with style being an important issue, it is for me as important as performance.

The Stryke AV12 is IMO the most stylish bang for buck sub driver, it's not yellow to match your mains, but not many subs are.

Most other good commonly used sub drivers look fairly similar - with some differences, some have foam surrounds, some have unattractive face plates with a cork-like material like the Shiva and Tempest.

What is the volume of that box?

Those are some seriously NICE looking cabinets! :eek:

and the cherry veneer one... :bigeyes:

grab a copy of winISD and checkout the response graphs you get

Throwing the driver parameters into WinISD gives a box size of 9 cubic feet. that tuned to 22 hz, gives a nice _flat_ response to 26hz with th F3 being around 20hz.
BIG. but looks good to me.

a 3cubic foot box gives a F3 of 33 with a slight rise @ 60hz

For looks -- check out some of the aluminum cone drivers.
The SS 23W/4557T00 is one ive wanted to check into.. but dont have the funds (yet)

Don't get stuck on having a yellow cone for the subwoofer. It's a real shame there aren't any more AV12 woofers, but I have the AV12 and I enjoy it a lot. You should look into the Creative Sound Solutions SX10 woofer driver at http://www.creativesound.ca. It is 10" and should do well in that box you have there, if you leave it sealed, as it is designed to work in small sealed boxes. Its XBL^2 motor is very powerful and linear, and users report low distortion and a good music sound. You might want two for HT, though, unless you're in a little room.

Hey guys
Thanks for all the replys. I know it seems bassackwards that I'm considering the HiVi as a sub driver based on aesthetics but fact of the matter is that this is just a temporary HT system for me. I plan to sell teh MTM's and the sub as a package once I ge the funds to do a complete line array HT system of Seas Excel drivers & Fountek ribbons.

mOtion: About the veneer tutorial, I am a studio woodworker by trade and would be more than happy to answer any questions that anyone here has. It would be very difficult to write a tutorial since there are so many different processes involved but feel free to ask:)

BAM: I have always like the AV12 and I think I might be able to locate one of these drivers if the HiVi idea does not pan out. There is no way I'm building a 9cu ft sub just so I can have yellow drivers, even if it is just a tremp system. If nothing else I'll do a Shiva downfiring-sealed.

Let me add a bit more spice to this recipe....I am after a very quick sub that can reproduce accurate, punchy bass. I have no interest in shaking my wall cladding off with sloppy earthquaking bass. I have heard that the MKIII is pretty sloppy, true?

Regards
Christof

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.