A subwoofer forum, too! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A subwoofer forum, too! ;)

Now that's great news, as subwoofers really involve different 'frequently answered questions" than other speaker types, I suppose.

Having said that, I've got no topic to contribute, it just looks great to be the first.

Thanks to DIYAUDIO for providing yet another 'specialization' to the crowd!

Cheers,
Sebastian.

PS: The main page is still missing direct links to the new subforums. Are those planned? I'm asking because clicking the 'Loudspeaker' forum link proceeds directly to the conventional view, only viewing the 'Top' level reveals the new forums for me at the moment...

That's not such a bad idea Mike. I suspect it might become a bit messy though. It then becomes hard for newbies to read through a pile of info, good articles are a bit easier to follow.

I'm thinking I'd like to write some articles that will help, along with charts, links to drivers and example projects. Possibly look at those wikki things, I haven't looked into them much, but what I have seen has been sketchy and incomplete, suggesting they haven't taken off yet, which is a shame as it could potentially have good exposure, and save a lot of repitition that goes on in forums sometimes!

I'm guessing that 90% of the fundementals have already been covered on the fourm. What we need is an easy way for people to find the answers that have already been posted.

A sticky thread for frequently asked questions in a great idea. Paul is right though, it will get messy and newbies won't read through the whole thing. So instead of posting answers we should only post links to old threads. If a question has been asked before then there will already be a thread (or threads). All the FAQ needs is a link to the old one(s). If a newbie needs more info they can bump up the old thread.

Here is an example:
1. I just bought a Tumult and I want to know if I should make a dipole.
2. I'm a lazy bum and I don't read the FAQ, and I don't do a search. :bawling:
3. I post a new thread.
4. A friendly stranger posts a link to "Have TUMULT ... will Di-pole" in the FAQ thread, and posts a message on my thread that just says "Read the FAQ"
5. I read the FAQ and I find the thread with my answer. :)

The upshot is that I get my answer along with a friendly reminder of good fourm etiquette. The fourm stays tidy. And the FAQ stays readable.

What you do-is even the noobs wont read an FAQ- some one has it handy eg wiki file
so that you can copy and paste sections-

the end result is almost the same- minimal wasted time by the non noobs-and the noobs end up with the info!
Because-
-life is too short man!,to be pasting stuff to people who dont look at diysubwoofers.org etc!! Surely its great to help other people out- but wasting minutes of your life on forums isnt what most people want to do

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.