home sub/sat - $1000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend of mine wants me to recommend a home system coming in around one kBuck, US. He is thinking sub/sat. He's had a set of Klipsh La Scala's for years, but he wants to go smaller. Shielding is not strictly necessary. He is a master wood-worker, but alas, in his current digs, he has no woodworking tools to speak of, so it can't be anything real fancy.

I think I'll recommend a 10" Peerless XLS PR sub like I built, but I'm not dead set on that. The real question is what to do about the sats. I think boxes of 1/2 to 1/3 cubic feet would be okay. A kit would be okay.

Recommendations?

Dave Jones said:
A friend of mine wants me to recommend a home system coming in around one kBuck, US. He is thinking sub/sat. He's had a set of Klipsh La Scala's for years, but he wants to go smaller. Shielding is not strictly necessary. He is a master wood-worker, but alas, in his current digs, he has no woodworking tools to speak of, so it can't be anything real fancy.

I think I'll recommend a 10" Peerless XLS PR sub like I built, but I'm not dead set on that. The real question is what to do about the sats. I think boxes of 1/2 to 1/3 cubic feet would be okay. A kit would be okay.

Recommendations?

Some more details would be helpful, such as- amplification, music/HT use, room size- it's really a wide open question.

There was recently a thread about kits, here, that should do a lot for you.

You can do quite a bit with $1k. Without some restrictions or goals it's really hard to reply to that.

If I had to spend $1k right now, and it wasn't for student loans, I would go for a dipole configuration like this using some of those new Dayton reference drivers, some Seas tweeters, and some yet-to-be determined 12 or 15 inch woofers. Then I'd throw in a sealed 15" for sub-40hz bass for movies. I would build 6 channels of gainclone amplification, maybe use that UCD180 amp instead for more juice, and buy an active crossover off ebay.

You told use that he's a master wood-worker... that sounds like a huge suggestion that he should build some horns.

Anyway, good luck.

Re: Re: home sub/sat - $1000

joe carrow said:

Some more details would be helpful, such as- amplification, music/HT use, room size- it's really a wide open question.

Let's assume it's a transistor amp. I don't think he'll be using it in an HT type system initially, but the option should be open. His TV is a rear projection type. He thinks shielding will not be an issue. I thought I gave the room dimentions, but I forgot. It's 12" X 24" with 9 foot ceilings.

The main thing is that the cabinet should not require a lot of intricate work, because he does not have the space and tools at the moment. He also wants to save space, so a sub/sat seems to be in order.

You told use that he's a master wood-worker... that sounds like a huge suggestion that he should build some horns.

Except that he's living in a small space and he's sold all his big equipment. Also, I don't think he wants it to be a big project. Something that he could make with cabinets from PartsExpress or some such place would be good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.