Help "tempest" enclosure.. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2004, 05:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help "tempest" enclosure..

I build tempest in mid Q enclosured w/ 270 watts plate amp from PE (300-794) last few months and I'm not so happy with it's performanced.
Btw, I'm using it for 70% music, "basszzy" jazz music (no rock music) and 30% HT. Previously I'm using Velodyne sub ported(CHT-8) then replaced by this "tempest" for more SPL and better performanced as I expected. Also I'm working right now with my front speaker FE167 driver in MLTL enclosure (from Bob Brines website) thanks Bob.
So guy's help me out with my problem. Also with regards to my main (DiY) speaker, what enclosure from "adire plans" fits my needs. Just a reminder, I'm a newbie interms of technical term I need plans in building. I need to choose from this two enclosure 230L "low Q" sealed enclosure or 214L "adire alignment" in ported enclosure. Thank's and God Blessed.
Old 20th October 2004, 03:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

could anyone?
Old 20th October 2004, 03:40 PM   #3
Wodgy is offline Wodgy  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Wodgy
My guess is that no one has replied yet because you didn't describe why you're not satisfied with your sub's performance.

Is it too boomy? Is that why you're considering a lower Q design? Realistically, if your current design is a sealed mid-Q design, boominess is much more likely to be coming from your room than from the subwoofer itself. It may not seem like the boominess is a room effect, but it is extremely common. Even the sub is properly positioned, many rooms have one or two major bumps or dips in the frequency response. Consider bass traps or equalizing the bass. Also, if boominess is your problem, a ported enclosure is probably not going to solve your problems.

Is there not enough very low bass? In a sealed enclosure you're going to depend on room gain for that last octave. Work on positioning. There may also be major dips in the room's response. Again, consider bass traps or equalization. Going to a ported enclosure could help here if your room is very big or you can't position the sub for a lot of room gain.

I'd work with your current sub rather than build a whole new sub, at least for now, unless there's something very wrong with your current design, such as the cabinet resonating or the Q being too high (>0.9).
Old 20th October 2004, 03:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

In what way are you dissatisfied with your sub? Does it not go low enough or is the bass not punchy enough? I haven't used a Tempest (yet) but I am pretty sure that you can tune it to your taste once we figure out what it is.

By "bassy jazz" do you mean artists like Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke and Jaco? If so you may be looking for more midbass punch like the higher Q alignment. Try putting some bricks, wood blocks or other solid object in the enclosure to reduce the effective volume nearly in half to see if this is what you are looking for. If you are looking for more extension the low Q or EBS aligments will probably suit you better.

As for the mains, you need to define what you are looking for so we can help you choose.
Old 20th October 2004, 04:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank's guys for your reply. Sorry, but I told you I'm not that good in technical term but I'll try. I listen to jazz music like "dianakrall" "norah jones", christy baron and patricia barbers
also my MidQ is too boomy and lot of mid punch and it won't go that low I mean It roll off too early. It sound tight but not us tight as my previous velodyne(cht_8")vented(my referenced). Also it sound bloated when I crunk up the volume. And it's located in the front right corner of the room. I build this enclosure following adire plan no added braces and used two standard pillow for stuffing. plate amp mounted on the back. My setting from my avr from LFE 80hz and "0" sub level for music and -4 in movie and from the plate amp is 10 o' clock set to 40hz(music) and 160hz(movie) and phase control set to "0". and my room dimension is 10'h x 13'w x 32'L (open to the dinning). Hope this help.
Old 20th October 2004, 05:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

from that, I'd go along with the suggestion to try different placement. A low Q or EBS alighnment will probably be more to your liking if you get to building a new box.

Do your main speakers go down to 40 Hz AND is the receiver set so front speakers = large? If not, you are creating a hole in the response between the 80 Hz cutoff of the mains and the upper end of the sub's response when you set its crossover to 40. You may be cranking the sub level up to compensate. This might cause the boominess that you describe when you crank it up. I'd try setting the sub's crossover 80 and leave it there whether music or HT.

Does the sub amp have a built in boost? if so you probably want to disable it.

Edit: Just looked at the data sheet for your amp - it rolls off 3 db between 30 and 20 hz. You might want to follow their instructions and add 2-3 db of boost at the bottom to counteract the early effect of the rumble filter.
Old 20th October 2004, 08:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

thank's Ellis I'll cheked it out.
Old 21st October 2004, 04:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

how low does low_Q sealed tempest can go. Does it have desame performance with the EBS enclosure. For music it self which of the two, best to choose.
Old 21st October 2004, 05:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

plug the parameters into winisd and see how it looks to you
Old 21st October 2004, 11:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

According to LspCAD Tempest in 237 liter sealed box Bessel alignment Q= .577

F3 = 37.6
F6 = 25.4
F10 = 18.0

If that doesn't seem very low take a look at this chart.
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/pjay99s...mentranges.htm
There really isn't very much going on below 40 Hz.

Hide this!Advertise here!