8" Sonosub help needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2004, 03:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 8" Sonosub help needed

Hello Guys,

I'am a newbie into speaker building. Just got myself a LSK M5 speaker coupled to a Rotel Amp. Now i'am interested in building a subwoofer which is not too big, but looks awesome. I'm looking something in the order of an 8 inch sonosub. Can I use the recommended speaker box specs for a sonosub. What do you guys think of this. I also need opinions on good drivers. what do you reckon of the dayton 8 inch drivers ? are they good or are they something out there which is better. Price range for the setup, around 500 USD including a sub amp.

Many thanks

Newbie Julian
Old 6th October 2004, 04:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I used the volume specs for my driver and computed the length of sonotube I needed to build a subwoofer based on the diameter I bought. There is a formula to compute the volume of a cylinder. Mine turned out great.

Good luck
Old 6th October 2004, 04:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't know if sort of thing interests you but I built one of these a while back. I think any 8" with a similar Fs would work.
http://www.timn8er.com/av8_sonosub.htm

Hmmm...looks like I need to update some of my links. You can go to Adire's website if you're looking for specs.
Old 6th October 2004, 05:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 8" Sonosub help needed

Quote:
Originally posted by julianboudville
I'm looking something in the order of an 8 inch sonosub.

What do you reckon of the dayton 8 inch drivers ?
Hi Julian,
If an 8" sonotube is what your looking to build, an 8"driver may be a tight fit. You need 1-2" min around driver for mounting.

6.5-7" driver with 8" sonotube
8" driver with a 10-12" sonotube

Smaller drivers less bass, no deep bass. What about venting or are you ok with a higher F3?

Volume is area x height?
Old 6th October 2004, 05:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi mrlots2do

I'am ok with venting, but seal box would be nice. I would prefer something with a flat response. If a vented design does this then its no probs. The reason i want a sonosub is that i may be able to build two and use them as speaker stand for my shelves speakers.

and yeah as you have pointed out. An 8inch driver in a 10 - 12 inch tube is what i'm thinking of.

I'am confuse in speaker selection ?? which drivers should i used.

Criterias are: downward firing, room frequency response to about 25 - 30 hz, biggest room size about 3m - 6m back of the room opened.

Any suggestion would be helpful

Many Thanks

Confused, Poor Uni Student who is on a budget.
Old 6th October 2004, 05:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hello timn8ter,

Something similar to what you have posted is what i'm looking for.

Thanks alot will look into those speakers

Julian
Old 7th October 2004, 02:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by julianboudville
I'am confuse in speaker selection ?? which drivers should i used.

Criterias are: downward firing, room frequency response to about 25 - 30 hz, biggest room size about 3m - 6m back of the room opened.
The Dayton DVC's #295-480 are probably what you want. Check PE's driver
wizard. Venting is usually beside down firing drivers or on opposite end cap. Sinse you don't have much room how about an exteral slot port down the rear outside wall. You could use a piece of sonotube (already at the right curve) and two end rails to build it out.

You'll need a plate amp, pick one. I bought the 300-794, made a sheet metal box and spray painted it flat black. It sits on the floor beside my subwoofer, never gets "warm". http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=505

BTW.... my subwoofer is 20" x 54" (8.5 cu ft) tuned to 17hz.
Old 7th October 2004, 06:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Cool,

Thanks for the information, will look into it and measure up all the components. I guess since the dayton's speakers are only rated at 120 w max a sub amp which is around 100 - 150 watts would suffice.

Julian
Old 7th October 2004, 07:12 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

have you throught about the 8 inch peerless XLS Available from wes components.com.au

http://www.d-s-t.com.au/Ventura/Peerless.htm

http://www.d-s-t.com.au/Data/Peerless/830491.pdf

you can get a plate amp locally the jaycar are the same as the PE amps . .

The problem will be getting it to Oz . I have priced some gear from PE

the shipping was alot more than item because it is weight based .

the cheapest price for shipping the driver .Using the US postage web site is $27 US it will take 6-8 weeks to arrive
Old 7th October 2004, 07:55 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Julian,

Firstly I'd suggest consider drivers that are available locally. Peerless and Vifa you can get here and are good value. You can also get Seas here. Sonotube is US, in Australia it's called Formatube, and it's quite expensive. Not worth it IMO. Formatube is suitable for big subs that would otherwise be ridiculously heavy due to their size. If you want small and cheap then it's not the way to go. Formatube costs about $34/m + $40 freight.

For a good value small sub in Australia, here's my suggestion:

Peerless XLS either 10" or 12" in a small sealed box with a plate amp. You can get the 10" for $190 and the 12" for $220. You can get a 200w plate amp from Wes Components for $250. Add $20 for MDF and you have most of what you need for a good sub for $490 AUD.

Other possible drivers:

* ~$100 - Peerless 10" CSX - a nice sounding driver with a good low distortion motor but not much output as a sub; unfortunately it needs a fairly large box so it doesn't really meet your criteria
* ~$100 - Peerless 8" XLS - I haven't heard this driver but I expect it would be good, although you can't expect much output from an 8" driver

Both are cheaper but I'd say its worth spending just a bit more to get a driver that is a genuine sub driver with more oooommmpph!

Please note: a lot of what other DIYers are doing might not be a good idea here in Oz. With US drivers there is a long wait and additional expense of shipping. If anything goes wrong it's a long way back. I'm not against overseas drivers (I bought my subs from the US), but you want a good reason for this. If you buy via a local supplier, they have purchased in bulk and the shipping would have been more economical. For expensive drivers you may get a worthwihle advantage buying overseas depending on the exchange rate etc.

In a nutshell: for a good value small sub in Australia it's very hard to beat the XLS.

Hide this!Advertise here!