DPL12 w/ PR15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2004, 01:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DPL12 w/ PR15

Hello all,

I'm a bit of a newbie, so any help would be appreciated. Does anyone have any thoughts on this setup?

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/PR15...12ComboKit.pdf

Thanks,
Chris
Old 8th September 2004, 11:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What, no replies?

I'm starting to like the idea of this setup, unfortunately I cannot find all of the specs needed to input it into winisd, so I may be flying blind on this one.

Also, does anybody have any recomendations as to a good amp (not a plate amp) to use on this setup? My research on the dpl12 says it's a little power hungry so I want to be sure to give it plenty of juice.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 9th September 2004, 01:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I was also thinking about using a Apex senior amp, would this work with the setup above??

http://www.apexjr.com/Apexsenior.htm

Thanks,
Chris
Old 9th September 2004, 04:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

What specs are you missing? E-mail our tech support at techsupport (at) adireaudio (dot) com and ask for the missing specs - they'll get them for you.

As far as power goes, anything in the 200-350W range is fine; no need for really big power levels.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
Old 9th September 2004, 02:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dan, I will do just that.

Does anyone know of a good non plate amp bridgeable into 4 ohm that would suit this application?

Also, my goal here is to beat out a hsu tn1220 sono tube sub.....am I in the ballpark? I could just go buy the tube, but I'm a bit bored and like to do things for myself.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 9th September 2004, 05:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Musician's Friend has the Nady XA900 for ~$180. Does ~350W per channel into 4 Ohms...

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
Old 9th September 2004, 05:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Having helped a friend build a DPL12 in a 75 liter sealed cabinet I can vouch for the performance of this driver. Very nice and controlled, easily worth the few extra dollars over the Shiva. The PR'd cabinet should provide a little more bottom end while maintaining cone control.
Old 9th September 2004, 07:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

So, is this thing gonna shake the room, or what??

I've gotten myself confused with wiring. With that Apex amp, do I bridge it down to 4 ohms (it does not say that it is capable of this, though), then wire the dual voice coils in parallel? Is there really a need to go out and find more power, or will this thing outdue the HSU?

I really do not have a good reference for subwoofers (I've demo-ed an sunfire true junior and a velodyne cht-12 in a store) my father has a p.o.s. mitsubishi and my friend has a polk setup, but none of them "shake the air" like HSU are known to do (at least that's what I read).

I'm looking for a "shake the air" kinda sub.....something low but controlled. I'm not sure if I'm headed in the right direction, any help would be great.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 9th September 2004, 08:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So, is this thing gonna shake the room, or what??
That may depend on the room.
Old 9th September 2004, 08:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately I move fairly often (military) so I just hope that it turns out to be quality, or else I guess I'll just buy something from a manufacturer. I just need it to shake the average 15x20x8 family room.

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!