Adire's new horn design for the Tempest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have long been wondering about tweaking my sealed 170 L Tempest sub. I doesn't integrate well with my mains for music, and I think that is at least partly because it is downfiring, so I was thinking of refinishing it and making it front firing.

But lo and behold, Adire has just released design for a horn for the Tempest. The dimensions don't scare me because my box is already pretty big.

So any opinions on which direction is the best to go?

This horn has been examined already over at the Audio Asylum. This 'new' design is a rehash of what's been done a dozen times before by Peavey, Cerwin-Vega and many more. The horn is too short for loading below 50 Hz and is not particularly sensitive, especially considering the 13 cu. ft box size. In terms of what's out there for horn loaded subs there are many other choices better than this one.

As to your integration problems, down-firing loads the cone better than forward firing, as well as adding another degree of low pass filtering, but that doesn't necessarily cause integration difficulties. Placement is more likely the culprit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.