Construction suggestions for compound curved subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pinkmouse said:
Paul, did you search the forum before you opened this thread. ;)

I had a quick look and found at least 4 other threads with the same topic...

Pinkmouse,

I have searched and haven't found anything on this forum close to suggesting how I might build the top curve on my box. If you have seen any threads which deal with getting a very accurate compound curve, then I would certainly like to see them. I have not seen this addressed on the forum so far.

Paul,

Wood will make that top curve, no problem. Think of curved chair seats, stringed instruments, etc.

Probably the easiest way would be to start with flat top or just the front peak curve. Then use auto body filler. Sculpt whatever curvature shape is desired while it is still clay-like and sand it to the perfect shape once dry.

Bill what are your thoughts on plywood vs 3mm MDF. I'm thinking MDF will be cheaper and at that thickness it should be relatively easy to bend and I don't think the bends are too sharp.

I think MDF of any thicknesswon't work as well as plywood. The actual construction of this box is quite simple; any boat builder would look at the picture and reply 'what's the big deal?'. Compared to the compound curvatures of a boat hull this job is a piece of cake. Perhaps this picture of one of my DR200s prior to sheathing will help.

http://hometown.aol.com/billfitzmaurice/myhomepage/photo.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.