Isobarik Subs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This my latest mod. When I saw on the Polk audio web site that they were using some king of air wave guide, it got me thinking. So I designed some kind of wave guide and this is the result. The air movement is dead quiet and the bass is a lot tighter, I think that the phasing between the port and the speakers is also better. The air is actually coming out on the same plane as the one from the speakers. The end result is that it is working great.

Attachments

• pict0001.jpg
    pict0001.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 289
Iso Subs

Actually, I used a 4 inch ABS pipe for the port (which is 33 inches lenght , i had to put a 90 degree elbow inside to achieve this lenght) and at the time was not able to do a flared port.
Actually, It was pretty easy to build this one, I used the MDF cut out from the actual driver and by hand, added some drywall paste until I achieved a smooth surface.
Thks for the details.
Dan

Dan,

I wouldn't use the word "waveguide" here as it normally refers to modern horn design for constrant directivity.

As I see it, polk use this as a flare so that the air movement of a down firing vent is smoother, with less turbulence. Imagine air hitting a flat perpundicular surface! Better to create a smoother flow to eliminate chuffing. In your case I can't see much point, but if you like it, no reason not to keep it. Did you have turbulence problems?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.