Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What's good sensitivity for a car subwoofer?
What's good sensitivity for a car subwoofer?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2004, 10:02 PM   #1
Datoyminaytah is offline Datoyminaytah  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What's good sensitivity for a car subwoofer?

From what I've read, 88 dB is about average sensitivity for a sub. Is that right? But I've seen subs rated at 92 dB and higher, although for at least one specific model, a forum post I read (not necessarily this forum) said the rating was BS because the manufacturer measured it including "cabin gain". How many others do that, I don't know.

Should I be expecting to find subs with a similar sensitivity to my other car speakers (92 dB,) or is less OK?

Some Kenwoods I just found on ebay are rated between 91 - 93 dB. Any opinions on Kenwood subs?
Old 22nd August 2004, 04:29 AM   #2
Volenti is offline Volenti  Australia
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't worry about the sensitivity all that much since cabin gain is usually a bigger factor anyway.

The kenwood Excelon range is pretty good, don't get the entry level subs since they have a higher Q and tend to sound boomy.
Old 22nd August 2004, 11:36 PM   #3
BillFitzmaurice is offline BillFitzmaurice  United States
Banned

Agreed, cabin gain is going to account for a lot in the small confines of a car. so 85-90dB is generally sufficient. The main advantage to higher sensitivity is less distortion, both speaker and amp generated, and horn-loading is the only way to get very high sensitivity. I'll have a horn loaded sub or two suitable for autos appearing on my site over the next few months.
Old 23rd August 2004, 02:48 AM   #4
mikee12345 is offline mikee12345  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

my corner horn F3-40hz horn functioned well in the car,126db with 20watt input at 50hz

Bear in mind the driver was a US$9 8" unit which probably suffered from 10db power compression at its 20w rms rating
Old 23rd August 2004, 03:51 AM   #5
bhg41088 is offline bhg41088  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to bhg41088 Send a message via MSN to bhg41088 Send a message via Yahoo to bhg41088
i wanted to design a 50hz folded for a 15" Cerwin Vega Stroker for SPL. would have been fun.

What's good sensitivity for a car subwoofer?Hide this!Advertise here!