What's good sensitivity for a car subwoofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From what I've read, 88 dB is about average sensitivity for a sub. Is that right? But I've seen subs rated at 92 dB and higher, although for at least one specific model, a forum post I read (not necessarily this forum) said the rating was BS because the manufacturer measured it including "cabin gain". How many others do that, I don't know.

Should I be expecting to find subs with a similar sensitivity to my other car speakers (92 dB,) or is less OK?

Some Kenwoods I just found on ebay are rated between 91 - 93 dB. Any opinions on Kenwood subs?

Agreed, cabin gain is going to account for a lot in the small confines of a car. so 85-90dB is generally sufficient. The main advantage to higher sensitivity is less distortion, both speaker and amp generated, and horn-loading is the only way to get very high sensitivity. I'll have a horn loaded sub or two suitable for autos appearing on my site over the next few months.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.