subwoofer time delay - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2004, 08:45 AM   #1
mart34 is offline mart34  England
diyAudio Member

Default subwoofer time delay

I have a subwoofer hooked up to my hifi system and Iím sure that there is a delay between the bass and the rest of the music. The bass always comes in a little bit late. The signal to the sub amp panel comes from the speaker outputs of my stereo amp and into the bass amps high level input.
Could this be causing the delay?

I donít have a phono o/p on my amplifier, this is why Iím using the high level signal. Could I use the headphone o/p of my amp to feed the signal to the sub amp panel?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old 9th August 2004, 10:34 AM   #2
Svante is offline Svante  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Could it be that you have a strong room resonance? If so, it could take some time to build up that specific frequency.
Old 9th August 2004, 10:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you're correct, is there any way of removing the resonance. Re-positioning the subwoofer?
Old 9th August 2004, 11:10 AM   #4
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Besides a probable strong resonance, enough group delay due to the sub's alignment can cause this 'following' feeling in the bass. Move the subs well ahead of the main speakers to check this out.
Old 9th August 2004, 12:53 PM   #5
Banned

Based on the fact that the signal to your sub is travelling at about .7 X speed of light there is no audible electronically derived delay. In fact, for frequencies below 80 Hz the notion of any delay problem is questionable. The human ear can detect quite easily time align differences of as little as 2 msec. in the midrange, but that ability does not exist in the lowermost frequencies. The same biological function that allows us to hear time align anomalies also allows us to localize the direction of sound sources. Frequencies too low to be directionally localized are also too low for time align differentials to be perceived.

As an example, I work at a 6,000 seat amphitheatre that has auxiliary speakers some 300 feet from the stage; they are time aligned with the main clusters at the stage, and operate from 80 Hz; below that all information comes from the sub clusters at the stage. Despite the 300 foot / .26 second differential there is no audible lag in the sub-bass.
Old 9th August 2004, 01:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

(sorry for my english)

Best sub-amp module must have phase control infinitely adjustment between 0-180į. If your have not, reverse polarity of sub ( or sat).
Sometimes works!
Also, change the low pass frequency (maybe too high?) and readjust the sub level.
Maybe the order of your low pass filter is not ok for your sat.
Perfect integration sub-sat is not symply
Hi!
Old 9th August 2004, 03:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have a continuously variable phase control (0-180deg), I will play about with this when I get home tonight. My crossover is set at 60/70Hz so, from what blitz has said I couldn't possibly here a delay due to the time it takes for the wave to travel to my ears (especially since I am 2 meters away from my sub). The fact that I'm using the high level i/p instead of the low level i/p should give no delay either because blitz stated that the signal travels at 0.7 x speed of light.
Are there any other ways this delay could have been caused?

Thanks for all of the valuable feedback.
Old 9th August 2004, 03:59 PM   #8
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't know if this applys to your system, but any receivers have a "speaker distance" setting (essentially timing) for the "sub out" and/or mains. Try using that, adjusted to your liking.

My subs
Old 9th August 2004, 04:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

My Amp has no time allignment. Is this something you would find on a surround amp?, I have a 2 channle amp and sub amp.
Old 9th August 2004, 04:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

IMO, if you really want a low group delay sub, the way to go is a closed box ELF type right near your speakers (preferably a stereo setup).

Hide this!Advertise here!